I skipped church this morning.

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church I skipped church this morning.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Wade 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Wade
    Participant

Woke up in plenty of time, but had an email to answer over breakfast, and felt a bit pressed for time. The only reason I was at all wanting to go to church this morning was because of being able to talk with one or two people afterwards. I know I’d only put my own cynical spin on the message on my sermon notes, and probably wouldn’t be able to believe the song words.

Besides, I wanted to see what had been posted overnight on TLS. One of the disadvantages of my timezone is that most the traffic here occurs whilst I’m sleeping.

So I decided to skip it this morning. I’ll go for a drive shortly, I think, browse some country town shops perhaps, eat out somewhere, maybe overlooking a beach, do some essential grocery shopping on the way back home. I prefer the evening church service, anyway. And catching up on posts on TLS was better than a church service. Wonderful sense of acceptance. :-) Felt much better.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So happy about your great morning! Sounds like you had a good time!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

wow staticsan. i’m jealous.

Helene
    Participant

@staticsan, I have a friend who will text me whenever she’s eating something gourmet, just to rub it in. Naturally I do the same back whenever I have the chance. I think you should do the same with us on Sundays sometimes. Something like “eggs benedict with polenta squares, roasted tomatoes and mushrooms sprinkled with a little gomasio”. I notice David often does it with coffee or tea descriptions, it gets my pavlov gourmet jealousy drool bell ringing. Browsing country shops, great food and coffee, a bookshop somewhere, a beach or non-urban landscape, it doesn’t get better than that. Church of the open air, ja !!!!!

Wade
    Participant

Well I’m currently out and about. Found some interesting country markets. Bought some crystals. Lunch was McDonald’s – sorry to disappoint! Going to look for some more curvey roads for my 924 to devour.

I like the idea of finding a gourmet coffee shop this afternoon.

Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

The only reason I was at all wanting to go to church this morning was because of being able to talk with one or two people afterwards.

I quit church for a year and half once except that I’d show up for the coffee time afterwards :)  It took some people many months to figure out I wasn’t there during the service.  I really enjoyed that time and to me the best part of church was going out for lunch after with a bunch of people.  Maybe you should try that next Sunday.

So are you in Australia?  You’re nearly a day ahead of me!  I’m in western Canada.

Helene
    Participant

McDonalds? Beats head repeatedly on keyboard….. :-)

Wade
    Participant

@cowboyjunkey I think they’d notice if I tried that! Not only is the church quite small, but I play in the band almost every other week. (Obviously not this morning…)

@helene I don’t have it much, so it was a treat. Normally I’d go looking for beachside fish-and-chips or a burgar bar or something but sometimes there isn’t a lot of choice on Sunday afternoon. :-/

Profile photo of Shift
    Shift
    Participant

Haha I will admit, I have missed my free Sundays! Its been solely “church day” for me that past three years. Staticsan, you complete rebel! :P

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

I will never forget the first time my husband and I didn’t go to church…way back when.  We got up, put on a  movie, sat under a cozy blanket and had coffee and lemon pie for breakfast.  It was an amazing concept. :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m hearing ya statistician with the notes an cyincism. Fortunately I have found somewhere now where I can be in church without too much of that but wasn’t so long ago I was there to. Unfortunatly for me, I am in the habit of speaking out at such times – some call that prophetic, seom call that being a trouble maker. I’m happy to be called either :).

So yup fell int the same trap of being here – I have David’s cartoons to thank for that *wink*. The one about the pastor zombie is hillarious. No evening service for me, I’m going skiing – finding a sense of belonging and acceptance in sports and the arts that I didn’t get in church circles. I’m a newbie here and hoping to find similar accpecance here.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

OH 924 – I take that as being a Ducati 924? I used to hava Ducati monster but now have a Honda 800 VFR. Can’t wait for spirng :)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

man i wish i still had my bike. i had a ’79 suzuki GS750. a pick up truck backed up over it in a parking lot. i wasn’t on it fortunately. never replaced it. :(

Profile photo of Julia
    Julia
    Participant

I remember the first few months of home on a Sunday morning after going to church for 40+ years. It was like being released from a cage into the wide blue sky. I’m still conscious of that freedom every Sunday. I can relate, as well, to not believing the words I was singing. I endured worship close-lipped for a few years until I finally left. Worship was always such an intimate experience and after a while I just couldn’t bear to fake it any longer!

Wade
    Participant

@Adam-Julians Not a bike, a car. It’s a Porsche 924. It likes corners more than any other car I’ve had. :-)

One thing I realized when I decided to go elsewhere is that I was I didn’t need to own the guilt of “I should go” when I didn’t want to. First time I’ve done that!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.