Is the Veil Thinning?

Blog Forums Reconstruction Personal Spirituality Is the Veil Thinning?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tracey 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

irreverance
    Participant

I was catching up on a blog I like, and the most recent article really drew me in.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbeckett/2014/07/co-workers-with-the-gods.html

The part that really caught my eye was this:

When the Spirituality folks ask “is the veil thinning?” they’re anticipating an unveiling or an uncovering, a time when wisdom will be revealed. There’s a word for that kind of revealing: apocalypse.

An apocalypse is not a disaster, though apocalyptic prophecies frequently include predictions of great destruction. What makes an apocalypse is the revealing of Truth that comes after the destruction: Jesus returns with a new heaven and a new earth or Ahura Mazda returns and drops evildoers in a river of molten metal. Truth is revealed, the faithful are rewarded, the infidels are punished, and all is made right.

The bold text reminded me of the deconstruction/reconstruction theme that David uses. It made me think of spiritual growth as a series of personal apocalypses.

But I also resonate with the idea that apocalypses happen in human history. Indeed, I believe that we are experiencing a sort of apocalypse now in religion. Some identify it using the term “kairos” moment (or a time of unstoppable turning that changes everything). I believe that the information age has destroyed the foundation of what is normally thought of as institutional religion, and that the quest for spiritual independence and personal truth is on the rise.

I think we are experiencing an apocalypse (of sorts), which is revealing truth to us. But the truth is not necessarily “greater” than the truth of the former age. Rather, I would say it’s more “relevant,” which makes it greater for us.

So, what do you all think? Is the veil thinning? Is an age emerging in which greater Truth is being revealed?

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I think so. But I’m also a optimistic realist… I think it will be taken advantage of.

Danielle
    Participant

I agree with everything you say until the last sentence :) I don’t think there is one truth with a capital t :)

irreverance
    Participant

@Danielle, I admit that was a loaded question. I don’t either. ;)

irreverance
    Participant

@David, “optimistic realist”? Does that translate into “hopeful”?

Btw, I can’t get the “edit” or “reply” buttons to work.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

i will check into this.
    “hope” is a very religious word now that i try to avoid if at all possible.
    but ya.

Tracey
    Participant

I’m hopeful . . .but I was with a church that relied on a lot of “prophetic words” to sustain the enthusiasm and sense of urgency. So I hesitate . . .also, I’m trying to surround myself with people that encourage the best in me, but now I fear that my sources are one-sided.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.