Is the world ready for this innovation

Blog Forums Reconstruction Atheism, Agnosticism & Science Is the world ready for this innovation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hagere
    hagere
    Participant

Psychiatry is like an evolved version of Christianity – Christianity says that you are ” rebellion” and you need Jesus to save you from a demon of rebellion and psychiatry says you have “Obedience Defiance Disorder” we need to medicate you make you an emotionless zombie. Don’t get me wrong, I think medicine can be beneficial in some cases when used ethically and with good intentions but I’m appalled how quick psychiatrists are to write a prescription. How about teaching people the tools to manage and cope? And we all know that nature provides us a lot of ‘natural’ aides right? The real question is – is the world or psychiatry for that matter ready to approach psychological issues from a non-traditional point of view? What do you guys think?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Profile photo of hagere hagere.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Profile photo of hagere hagere.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Hi Citizen of the world. I would suggest that the Christianity that says ” you are in ‘rebellion’ and you need Jesus to save you from a demon of rebellion” is an archaic static christianity. My very good friend is a practicing psychiatrist and is a Christian (although some would probably say he isn’t) and would agree with this excellent video. I applaud Dr. Londen’s compassion for herself and others. I applaud her empathy. My good friend has an incredibly high success rate for treating his patients without medication. He listens and ask questions very similar to this Dr. I’m not sure if I can answer if the “world is ready”… but there are many already practicing it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great TED talk – Wow! Her story is inspiring and courageous.

I agree that medications shouldn’t be the FIRST option. A good therapist may be all that is needed. But if that and/or other options have been tried without effective results, don’t hesitate to see if medication will help. I for one am extremely grateful for anti-depressant medications. My brain chemistry is so out of whack that without medication I have severe depression to the point of feeling suicidal. But by taking an anti-depressant, I am able to live and enjoy a normal life without depression.

The whole time I was listening to her talk, I was struck by something else – the glaring parallel between the “voices” she was hearing, and the “voices” that I (and I’m sure many of us) heard as a fundamentalist Christian.  Voices that shouted warnings against thinking certain thoughts or doing certain things. Voices which threatened eternal damnation for NOT obeying the voices. Very LOUD  voices of guilt and shame which served as a 24/7  “inner censoring ” device.  Repetitive voices that shouted all kinds of warnings about what would happen if we ignored the “voices.” Controlling voices so loud and so persistent that they effectively kept us from ever thinking for ourselves!

It is truly amazing that as I have walked out of and away from traditional Christian beliefs, the “voices” have greatly diminished and are now few and far between. And when I do hear one of those “voices,” instead of listening to it, I recognize it for what it is – a LIE. It is nothing more than a stray left-over from a former  crazy, sick and very damaging belief system I used to subscribe to.

Yes, the voices can still get triggered and activated, but now I am able to deconstruct them and even laugh at the absurdity of them.  I can actually turn those stupid voices off most of the time now. I’m still in awe because it’s like going from a black and white world to a brand new world brimming with all kinds of brilliant colors and exciting things to explore. Like the gal in the video, I can say that in grappling with the “voices” (and examining what lay behind them), I have reclaimed my sanity! I know many of you can say the same! How awesome is that?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.