Mark Driscoll this generation's Pat Robertson?

Blog Forums Deconstruction Ex-pastors & Leaders Mark Driscoll this generation's Pat Robertson?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

David Hayward’s cartoon/blog on Patheos today mentioned this first video of Pat Robertson telling a woman whose husband cheated on her: Well, he’s a man, and men tend to wander, and you just need to hold his hand and…it gets more ridiculous from there. (GAG!)
    http://dangerousminds.net/comments/what_would_jesus_do_barf_pat_robertsons_most_sexist_statement_yet
    While on Patheos I noticed an article titled Mark Driscoll’s Oral Fixation (as in oral sex – and how according to Driscoll, the Bible clearly says that Godly wives MUST do this for their husbands – but of course he says nothing about it needing to be consensual or husbands reciprocating)

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christianpiatt/2013/04/mark-driscolls-oral-fixation/

Apparently Mark Driscoll is this generation’s Pat Robertson – making ridiculous, misogynistic, patriarchal statements and of course quoting chapter and verse (which they took out of context so men can do whatever they want and wives just need to be submissive! Makes me want to PUKE!!!)

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

@Jo White, I didn’t even post it because it simply is so stupid. And yet there are so many that follow that old man and that younger man. I’m currently reading Mary Ann Tolbert’s “Protestant Feminists and the Bible:On the horns of a Dilemma.  It’s a lot to wade through but so worth it for me. I’m loving what you post Jo!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

What is most fascinating to me is not Mark Driscoll but how so many people adore and follow him. And Robertson.

starfielder
    Participant

I hear you David. It is fascinating.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Star!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I actually think Mark sticks his foot-in-mouth more often than PR. It might also be that the power of the internet multiplies the impact of his eye-brow-raising words.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

yes the internet is an infinite source of inspiration for me. actually, facebook pretty much provides all i need.

starfielder
    Participant

Jo, Pat Robertson is a caricature. He is like one of the two old guys up in the balcony in the MUPPET show blabbing his commentary. He is from another time. Mark Driscoll presents himself as hip, cool, with it and culturally relavent. Robertson is still wearing suits… no one wears suits in Silicon Valley unless you are a Jehovah’s Witness, car sales man or lawyer. So, for the masses Driscoll parades his charade as if he is one of them… and it you are looking for a beacon of “good news,” some absolutes to anchor yourself to… well, Driscoll seems like a good idea to many.

Profile photo of agnosticbeliever
    AgnosticBeliever
    Participant

I am with Dave….the number of people who believe and follow them continues to astound me.

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

Looking from the UK, I always find the US fundamentalist scene to be intriguing. Its not that we are immune to it over here, just that the US seems to do it so much better.

Robertson and Driscoll are prime examples – of course the Phelps are even more so, but seem to be making themselves completely unacceptable even to those who might agree with them – and they represent one aspect of US faith. It is a rather unfortunate part of the US Christian scene, and yet one that a lot of people do follow.

From a sociological.psychological perspective there is something appealing about their for of faith. It is full of certainties, full of decisive approval for the choices people want to make. That doesn’t mean it is right, just understandable.

And yes, the internet has made a big difference to the ability of people who have opinions – however crazy – to distribute them far and wide. That is one of the dangers. At the same time, we should remember that all sorts of opinions have a chance to get heard. Yes the crazies make for good media, but there is a chance to explain a more considered, more thoughtful approach to faith. It doesn’t make it easy to cope with idiots, but it also means that more people can see and tear their arguments apart.

I did a blog post along these lines today http://newwhine.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/is-internet-good-thing.html

Profile photo of pamwerner
    pamwerner
    Participant

Is the question who is worse? I believe it is Mark Driscoll.  I think Pat Robertson says some stupid shit and all, but Driscoll says stupid shit, and when called on it, writes BS “apologies” where he ridicules people. Oh, and have I mention the “sex demons”???  Yes…I believe I have.

Pat Robertson is your grandpa’s preacher. Nobody that I have know cares one bit what he says and does. He doesn’t have any influence over the younger, hipster, evangelical population. But Driscoll, talking oral sex, hanging at the pub, holding church in bars and music venues, and giving guys permission to be controlling over their women and feed their egos (are you a prophet, priest or king?)…well, he’s got what the younger generation wants.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

exactly @pamwerner… it’s the mix.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.