Music and Christians

Blog Forums Reconstruction Living Creatively Music and Christians

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

One of our members, Jo, shared that she has been out of the loop with regards to music because of her strict upbringing. I am guessing she isn’t alone. I told her I would love to give her some ideas and thought it would be a fun thing to do together.

So….let’s see if we can help Jo out with some musical suggestions….who’s in?

When I became a Christian, I thought i needed to cleanse myself of things connected to my past and so we destroyed quite a but of vinyl. It makes me sick just thinking about it because we had some wonderful music; Journey, Kansas, AC/DC, Crosby Stills Nash and Young and lots of other 70s rock. As the years went on, I learned that that thinking was extreme, but like Jo, I stayed mostly with ‘Christian’ worship music until a few years ago. I often joke that I totally missed the 80s!! Music is such a huge part of my life I cant believe I shut it out, but like other things, I thought is was dangerous to my devotion.

Jo…here are some of my personal favorites:
    Stevie Ray Vaughan (TX Blues)
    Jazz classics: Ella Fitzgerald, Ellington, Parker and Louis Armstrong
    New Jazz: Jamie Cullum, Melody Gardot, Peter Cincotti
    Rock: U2, Marroon Five, Counting Crows, GooGoo Dolls
    Bluegrass/country: Nickel Creek, Allison Krauss, Vince Gill
    All show tunes and just about any 70s rock (not disco!)
    Aretha Franklin, Michael Buble, Ray Charles, Mumford and Sons, Alicia Keys, Adele

My current obsession is Melody Gardot. This just makes me happy!
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qcebJ37cZKQ

What are other’s musical favorites?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of McBeth McBeth.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

Jo I’d recommend joining a free internet radio site like Pandora or Spotify where you can explore different genres and artists.  My taste in music is also all over the place, I love that yours is too McBeth.  I can’t even pick a favorite genre due to how random tastes are.  Someone recently challenged me to shuffle my iPod and list the first 20 songs.  This is by no means inclusive of my taste range:

1. Bach – Brandenburg Concerto #1 Allegro Moderato
    2. Desmond Dekker – 007 Shanty Town
    3. The Civil Wars – To Whom It My Concern

4. Miles Davis – Summertime
    5. Ray LaMontagne – You are The Best Thing
    6. Bob Marley and the Wailers – Redemption Song
    7. Ella Fiztgerald and Louis Armstrong – They Can’t Take That Away From Me
    8. Sugarland – Stand Back Up
    9. Mr. Vegas, Shaggy, and Josey Wales – Sweet Jamaica
    10. Muddy Waters – You Can’t Lose What You Never Had
    11. Charlie Parker – Summertime
    12. The Black Keys – Strange Times
    13. Javier – OK Here’s the Truth
    14. Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile – Here and Heaven
    15. Peggy Lee – Where or When
    16. Massive Attack – Angel
    17. Lynyrd Skynyrd – Things Going On
    18. Queen – Princes Of The Universe
    19. Vertical Horizon – Finding Me
    20. Peter Cincotti – I Love Paris

As I said, random. LOL

Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

Of course…Pandora is a great idea! I have been exposed to lots of new stuff that way.

Seventgirl…love your variety and Cincotti’s version of ‘I love Paris’ is the best!

Profile photo of debbiedarline
    debbiedarline
    Participant

At first I was tempted to list “cool” songs, but then I remembered that this is a safe community and that I can share what I really like!  I enjoy songs with lyrics that touch my heart.  Katy Perry’s Firework & Wide Awake (and the great videos that her team created to go with them), many of Taylor Swift’s songs are current favorites.  I also like to listen to and ponder the lyrics of Christian artists who struggle with life in the lyrics of their songs.  I wonder if they would feel a new sense of freedom if they found this community?  Chris Rice and Amy Grant come to mind.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My taste is all over the place!  It’s a lot easier to identify songs/genres I DON’T like than that I DO.  I don’t care for rap or hip hop (though there are a couple songs I don’t mind), and I’m not a fan of Christian contemporary (but again, there are a couple of songs).  I also felt when I was young that I should give up “secular” music and only listen to Christian artists.  In fact, when Amy Grant started to popular in the mainstream, we were told she “sold out” and that we should stop listening to her.  Similarly, we weren’t supposed to listen to Sandi Patti because she was divorced or Michael English because he had an affair.  Young people at church today are supposed to avoid Ray Boltz and Jennifer Knapp because they’re gay, so not much has changed.  I’ve since stopped feeling guilty about my taste in music.  If I want to listen to Nirvana, then I will.

Anyway, I tend to like classic rock, oldies, 80s pop, 90s pop and rock, and a few select contemporary rock/pop songs (yeah, totally cliche, but I love Lady Gaga).  I grew up on Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, and Madonna, so there you go.  I love, love, love Billy Joel, and his piano compositions are AMAZING, even better than his pop music.

I also like folk music of all kinds, as well as lots of classical (I’m a violinist with a community orchestra).  Right now we’re playing Fingal’s Cave by Mendelssohn, who happens to be one of my very favorite composers.  Generally, I like music from the classical and romantic periods–so Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Handel, Schubert.

Also (please don’t mock me), I like Weird Al.  No, really.  The kids’ babysitter introduced them to Weird Al a couple of years ago, and we have a whole bunch of his albums.  Once, one of the real songs came on the radio and the kids totally thought the Weird Al version was the “real” one.  LOL!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great thread and ideas.  I often joke that I missed out on all music from the 70s- 2000s.  Even after I was married and my husband wouldn’t allow me to listen to Christian music anymore, he only played country songs.  I liked country music, but I find a lot of those songs trigger me now.  Through Pandora and the like I have discovered 90s alternative – which I like a lot.  So, I guess I am only 2 decades behind now.

servantgirl
    Participant

Oh Debbie I chuckled when I read “cool songs.”  I’ve resolved that cool is what we make it and for that reason I will drive around with my windows down blasting The Phantom of the Opera House, or Charlie Parker.  lol

Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

Indeed…’cool’ is extremely relative and totally includes Parker and Phantom.The only question I have servantgirl is do you listen to the recent POO soundtrack or another version? There is a heated debate in my house about which is coolest.

We are totally lame :-)

servantgirl
    Participant

I listen to the Original 1986 London Cast version.  Other versions are good, but that was the first one I heard before I ever saw it performed so it’s the one I love.  And trust me, if you get me started on music, lame would be an understatement to describe my behavior. :)

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

I love music, and I am a musician so I love playing music.

Here are some of my favorites:

Music to relax to: Iron and Wine

Music to be energized by (my housecleaning music): Caravan Palace

Music to rock out to: Muse

Music to dream by: Eisley (especially their first album, Marvelous Things)

Music to dance to: Michael Jackson

Music to think deep thoughts to: Dustin Kensrue

Music to get the giggles out: Wierd Al Yankovic and/or Arrogant Worms

Music to vent frustration: All the things Serj Tankian is involved with

and my list would go on and on and on…but you get the idea.

:)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I finally found this second thread about music that McBeth started for me. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for listing your fav orite songs/music groups, etc. I copied and pasted all your posts into a Word Doc, and I will definitely be checking out your suggestions. Again, thank you all very much!!! Love you guys!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

i listen to everything. my ipod has 28 days of straight 24/7 music without listening to the same song twice.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow – that’s amazing!

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

I love music! I think music is a very powerful thing…

I have realized a interesting fact… although I am generally a very optimistic and light hearted person… who likes to laugh and joke… and who is generally in a good mood… I find that a lot of the music I like or am drawn to is dark, sometimes depressing, and pessimistic… maybe it is a way to express my other side… lol… I have no idea really…

But perhaps you may be a person like me… so I thought I would offer a few suggestions just in case you have similar tastes as I…

Radiohead

REM

Incubus

Peace & Much Love!

David

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

These are some people that I know… Although not christian… a lot of there music is very spiritual… with strong native american roots…

They are some great folks…

Medicine for the People

DEEP SONG – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBqtBgelnI

POWERFUL SONG – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0WSLUJHKA

FUN SONG – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1CHFfym1s

Hope you like!!

Peace and Much Love

David

Mitakuye Oyasin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.