Ordination and clergy

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Ordination and clergy

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

This is specifically from a Church of England perspective, but I believe that it applies to other denominations, especially ones where leadership is defined and decided at a higher level than a local church.

The thing is, the process for ordination is a long and difficult process, that can take several years. The process is about moulding a person to the right form for the conference, which then finishes the process. It is intense, difficult and can be very soul-destroying. Those people who do not fit into the traditional Anglican image for clergy are liable to fall by the wayside. I don’t know numbers, but I would suspect that two thirds of those who start the process drop out or are rejected. It may well be more.

The support for those who fail the process is pretty well non-existent.

This level of attrition is perfectly reasonable if the result is the SAS (or the marines or an equivalent). The thing is the result is the clergy we have. Now some clergy are wonderful and excellent, but not all. What I find is that the majority of clergy are pretty mediocre, and somewhere there is a disconnect here. There is a rigorous selection process, and a three year training program, followed by another three or so years on the job training.

And it produces a whole range of mediocre people. So what is the point? Why put all of this process in place, and cause such a lot of pain and anguish, just to produce mediocre leaders? Especially as many of those who are rejected are probably the ones who could make a big difference to the church, who could pull it in new and different directions. Who could make the church something less abusive, and more open? Who could save the church for the next decades?

It seems to me that many of those – including me – who are rejected from the system, despite clearly having some degree of leadership potential, are the ones who leave the church eventually.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

“And it produces a whole range of mediocre people. So what is the point? Why put all of this process in place, and cause such a lot of pain and anguish, just to produce mediocre leaders? ”

I would wager to say, it’s because, in general, people are attracted to mediocrity. At least this is my experience.

Profile photo of Shift
    Shift
    Participant

I believe there is a high level of mediocrity because you are training candidates in a grueling training process that takes years, for a job that relies so much on empathy, love and understanding of the communities they serve. You can’t “train” people for a job like that, and if you do, you are just going to severe all spiritual meaning from it eventually, and those that stick at it won’t really have their heart in it anymore. They are just working another job.

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

@startfielder – I think it is the discrepancy that bothers me – a rigourous selection and training process, to find people who are mediocre. It seems to me a little like the SAS selection and training process, only to find the results were scared of spiders and getting dirty.

If you want mediocrity, then that is far easier to achieve. And, if mediocrity is what is expected, then surely there should be other places for the thinkers, the ideas people, those who will move the church on.

It just seems that clergy are always expected to be all things. Not only pastors, teachers, but theologians, visionaries. One size does not fit all, because it is impossible to find a selection procedure if you have no real idea what you are selecting for.

So often, ISTM, the process should be to identify who can cope with administration. And yet this is not really a part of the formal selection requirements.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

In the cult system I came out of (new apostolic reformation) the pastors did NOT have to have any official training whatsoever.  They were called by the holy spirit and that is all that mattered, as THEY said.  They were ‘ordained’ in a church service and presented a plague and a sword.  Although some got a degree at a later time, and that was online, it wasn’t required.  I had been in the church three or four years when I found out the pastors didn’t have any schooling/training.  I should have had a thousand bells going off and asking questions.  That was back in my trusting days.

Profile photo of Kate
    Kate
    Participant

Over a month late to this conversation…but I’ve only just joined – and wanted to say just a couple of things.  First I wanted to say I am sorry Steve that the CofE of selection process has been so difficult for you…I know you are not alone and I’ve heard this from quite a few others.  I didn’t/don’t always find it easy myself.  I think pastoral care surrounding selection and training could be vastly improved – especially for those who are given a no or not yet – and I hope that once the CofE ordains women Bishops that we might see a change in culture in this regard.

However, I also want to warn against dismissing the ‘mediocre’ too quickly – it is often from the outwardly ‘mediocre’ that I’ve learnt most – and found really humble men and women who neither thought they were God nor acted like God – but who, precisely by not drawing attention to themselves, helped my attention be drawn to God and the eternal…and who allowed me the freedom to find my own way too.

And in my experience of abuse in the Church – it is rarely the mediocre that cause the most damage – unfortunately it is often the most brilliant – and those with the most ‘gifts’, ‘vision’ etc…not universally by all means – but often.

I’ve always loved 2 Corinthians 4:7 – ‘But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.’

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Having gone through the ordination process with all the years of education and preparation, I can see what Steve is saying. I also see what Kate is saying. Both are happening. For sure! What I realized pretty early on was to use the Trojan Horse method… you know… keep my REAL thoughts and feelings and self hidden until I got in… then gradually let it leak out. However… I saw a lot of people who bowed to the pressure to conform and lost their fire.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

One of the greatest pastors I ever had was not a product of the Seminary.  He called it “the Cemetery”.   He was a very inspirational leader, full of authentic compassionate action and fire.  He had two jobs, a civilian job in labor/management conflict resolution and being a really active pastor.  I wish I’d not lost touch with he and his family. I think about them often.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.