the little things

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church the little things

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

I was going over my budget this morning and I realized that the top category was, ‘tithe’. As I slowly deleted that word, I realized that the past 15 month, is the first time in 30 years I have not tithed regularly.

These small things remind me of how radically my life has changed.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow, yeah.  It’s only been fifteen years for us, but we also are not tithing at this point.  The other day, my husband and I were looking at our finances so we could support some charity work a friend is doing.  He said, “Since we are agreed that we don’t want to tithe anymore, do you want to give him that money instead?”  Ultimately, we agreed to split that money among various charities.  But I was surprised (and pleased) that we seem to be on the same page with that.  Even if we do end up at another church someday, it’s not likely that we will ever tithe directly to the church again.  That thought stirs up a lot of guilt for me, probably more than just about anything else–including guilt over “leading others astray” with my theology.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

A few years ago Lisa and I went through personal bankruptcy. We were required to stop tithing of course. It was during my bankruptcy that we left the church. Haven’t tithed since. But we give money and stuff to others when we can.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Our dear friends left the church several years ago. They did not leave our church (they live in another town) but church in the broad institutional meaning. They stopped tithing to church and pay for other stuff (unselfish concern for the welfare of the others). We loved this idea and have followed along. This is one of the things our ex pastor came after us about. He accused us of not serving the same God. (OMG what bullshit is that!)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I can’t stand the thought of supporting a church building.  I absolutely love being able to give money to those in need instead!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.