What do you do when your pastor says something completely out of line?

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church What do you do when your pastor says something completely out of line?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of George George 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Gerrard
    Participant

I found this video interesting: http://youtu.be/TZiQu_2t6ps

Its by a friend or acquaintance from the internet.

It’s basic gist is that a pastor said something rather extreme. Rev Oxley (the author of the video) created a call to action for people to take a public stance against such extremist views and try their best to separate their values from that of those who make extremist views.

My friend walked out of a church because this one pastor or speaker was going on about how they had a person who they didn’t like. Instead of getting to the point of yeah they learned to tolerate them, love them, befriend them; the pastor laughed and said the guy died and the problem was over. A small example.

Another example from said friend who walked out of a church is their sister in law was going on about how they were praying the dalai lama would be disemboweled. Really strange.

Any interesting encounters of extreme views being aired by supposed leaders of the church?

As

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Matt’s video was right on, but it does not surprise me that church people are not standing up to their pastors. Most of them have been drinking the kool-aid for too long to realize there is anything wrong with what their pastor is saying. And as many of us know from experience, questioning religious leaders or the status quo doesn’t do much except put a HUGE target on the back of the person who dares to do so. We all know if you voice disagreement or question anything the pastor says, YOU immediately become the “bad guy” and the rest of the church people are told to stay away from you.  In the end you have no choice but to leave or publicly recant what you originally said.

It reminds me of that story in the Gospels where Jesus healed the young blind man, and when the Pharisees grilled the parents about who had healed their son, they would not say it was Jesus for fear of getting kicked out of the synogogue. They did not want to be severed from their religious community. That is still a very real fear in churches today – especially the legalistic fundie churches. We understand all too well why no one in their right mind wants to go down that road!

But the tide is turning. Just look at all us TLSer’s! Even though the majority of us are no longer in the church we are finding ways to let our voices be heard outside of the church – through Facebook/TLS posts, blogging, etc. If enough people leave the church it will eventually collapse. I think it’s well on its way!

Profile photo of Chris M
    Chris M
    Participant

Good point Jo White.   I had an interesting conversation with a pastor friend of mine on this topic after I had one shared David’s Driscoll cartoon on facebook the other day.  He immediately wrote this big piece about being tired of people coming against “god’s annointed” basically.   My respsonse was that it’s time that people do speak up and against these pastors and leaders when wrong is being done, or hurt or pain, etc.   Being “god’s annointed” doesn’t mean they have a license to kill

Gary
    Participant

Chris, I cringe now when someone uses the term “God’s Anointed”.  Ugh.  I attended a large Southern Baptist church some years back and the pastor absolutely loved to refer to himself in this manner.  He used it every time he felt at all challenged.  Of course he was one of the most abusive and narcissistic pastors I have ever encountered.  Sadly, we left that church thinking the problem was just him, and went directly to another very fundamental baptist church, this time independant.  Between the two churches we lost 20 good years of our lives trying to “serve” God.  I guess the good thing that came out of those years is that these men who believed they were “God’s Anointed” drove us to finally begin questioning in earnest.

Profile photo of Chris M
    Chris M
    Participant

I like that Gary – the good that came out of those years drove you to question.  I’ve spent a lot of time regretting those years of my life – I have to look at it like you do – it brought us here.

The “god’s annointed” thing drove me nuts and another thing that kind of gets under my skin is how many “apostles” seem to be out there now.  Self appointed apostles.  I don’t know why – just bugs me

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

Ummmm…I had a pastor give me really crappy marriage counselling. I know its not the same thing.  He wasn’t expressing it from the pulpit.  But what he said and didn’t say  in private… I can’t even bring myself to share in words.   I wish I had of gotten off my chair and walked out of his office.  But I didn’t. :(  That was 17 years ago.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Chris – AMEN about the whole “God’s Anointed” thing!!!

Sara – been there done that too regarding receiving crappy marriage counseling. I stayed in a verbally/emotionally abusive marriage for 18 years because I was told I “didn’t have a ‘Biblical’ reason for divorce.” Then when I did have a Biblical reason (my husband had an affair),  pastors and church people (and my own parents!) were still trying to tell me I should stay in the marriage. All I have to say to those people is PIPE THE FUCK DOWN! Do NOT tell other people what they should do in their marriage unless you have walked in their shoes for 18 years!

Wade
    Participant

Not sure about “completely” out-of-line, but I took mild exception to a comment in a sermon that basically said all (valid) spiritual choices were Christian or nothing. I know there are many other spiritual paths, though it was understandable a Christian pastor would not want to acknowledge that.

Wade.

Profile photo of George
    George
    Participant

I would like to say what I have said elsewhere about ‘God’s anointed.’ First of all Christ (Messiah) means anointed as Saul anointed to be king or David anointed by Samuel to be king. That is symbolism of oil representing God’s Holy Spirit equipping an Old Testament saint for service.

Now up to the New Testament and Jesus is the expected anointed messenger of God – sent by God and receiving the Holy Spirit as a dove when baptized by John.

But, remember, Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit and if you are His child – baptized in water and the Spirit – then YOU are God’s anointed. And any abusive pastor who ‘Lord’s it over’ his congregation must give account to God for how he treated ‘the least of these my brethren.’

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.