your first job after the ministry

Blog Forums Deconstruction Ex-pastors & Leaders your first job after the ministry

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thejadedfool thejadedfool 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

StarryNight
    Participant

Thank you, Randy!

Profile photo of Vinny
    Vinny
    Participant

My spouse went to a full-time SAHM.  She’s come out of “retirement” twice in the past 4 years, both times to do short-term (2-3 month) interim gigs for local churches – once when I was unemployed, and once because she was basically begged to do it.  Both experiences cemented her resolve never to go back into full-time ministry.

I think her next step may be to open a quilting store.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I started working as a website editor and also started to learn marketing at a college… 11 years later, now I am a telecommunications strategy manager, but still teaching jewish and biblical studies at a state university. :)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

oh wow attila that’s interesting. can i ask which university?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So. I was (and I am still…) a pastor of the Lutheran Church in Hungary. I was a phd student and instructor of its Theological University. After having divorced, I left both the university and temporary the church, and started a civil career. In 2005 I started to infiltrate :) to my second alma mater, where I have been a recurrent visiting instructor now for 6 years. This is called ELTE (Eötvös Loránd University, named after a famous person in Hungary), which is currently a no. 1. university in Hungary. (Btw. it is ranked only somewhere between the 200th and 300th place in global uni rankings… Gosh… :))) My department here is Assiriology and Hebrew, and I teach here some rabbinic and biblical literature, recently advanced level Biblical Hebrew, history of ancient Israel, theology and religion history (of ancient Israel).

And this semester, I had a course, “The Jewish Jesus”, which was a rather deliberating course for me under (let’s say) “safe” circumstances. (That is, far from the church.) Anyway, I am still an active pastor.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

very very interesting Attila! Looking forward to more of your input.

Profile photo of jasonlerato
    jasonlerato
    Participant

my first job after being a youth pastor was church bashing….opps…you meant paid postions.  I went into trucking

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

Being a life long nerd… I went into tech support… Still helping people… just without the bs… lol

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

You go “thejadedfool.” No bs is awesome!

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

Thanx Star!!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.