Your thoughts?

Blog Forums Deconstruction Spiritual Abuse Your thoughts?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ang Ang 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

http://spiritualsoundingboard.com/2013/06/23/spiritual-sounding-board-sound-off/

This is the blog of Julie Anne Smith.  Her pastor sued her and four others for defamation, etc.  He and his church lost and had to pay all the defendants attorney fees and court cost.   She started her blog during that time.

This video she posted really stirred up a lot of emotions in me.  You can read what I wrote on the blog if you want.

If you have been in an abusive church situation, and if you haven’t, I would like to know what the video stirs in you.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It is a beautiful video. I am really afraid of heights so I had to shut my eyes a few times. :) I think the main thing it made me think of is that conservative Christians think exploring progressive Christianity and learning so much from non-Christians is crazy and dangerous, and they don’t understand why anyone would want to do it. But since I’ve been doing that, I’ve been able to see the bigger picture, the bird’s eye view. Seeing the Christian culture more from an outsider’s perspective has helped me realize how poisonous many elements of the culture are. I am trying to figure out how to be a Christian but not drink the poisoned Kool-Aid. Also, I often feel like I don’t belong in either culture. I don’t want to be on the ground because it makes me feel restless, imprisoned, unsatisfied, and angry. But at the same time, I miss the stability and reassurance of having solid ground underneath my feet, even though it was an illusion.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I got all tingly. It reminded me of the courage we need to take huge risks and step off of the structures.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

The video made me really anxious. I was squirming all around in my chair – especially when he hung from that bar by only one hand! I didn’t see how he was going to keep from falling at that point.

As far as how it relates to my spiritual journey, it has been just like that guy climbing rung after rung.   There is a sense of adventure and exhilaration as I push way beyond previous beliefs, but there is also some fear that I might get so far out there, I might lose my grip and fall. But I am compelled to keep climbing anyway because I can’t resist the freedom I am encountering along the way. With each new rung I climb, the better perspective I have. It is very different from what I saw when I was confined on the ground, that is for sure!

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

I kept trying to focus on the view as he climbed ~instead of my fears and feelings of dizziness.   Essentially what I am attempting to do each day in my own life…enjoying the view and feeling alive instead of remaining  in the disappointments and losses.

@Jo White  ….. “There is a sense of adventure and exhilaration as I push way beyond previous beliefs, but there is also some fear that I might get so far out there, I might lose my grip and fall. But I am compelled to keep climbing anyway because I can’t resist the freedom I am encountering along the way. With each new rung I climb, the better perspective I have.”  ~ Love this!! YES!! :)

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Thanks for all your thoughts.  The last three years has been a huge roller coaster for me.  Leaving the church was traumatic for me.  But progressively the change in my thinking has been freeing.  TLS has helped so much.  I am so thankful to be in a group of ‘real’ people who care and share.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.