109 Yr Old Holocaust Survivor:

Blog Forums Reconstruction Personal Spirituality 109 Yr Old Holocaust Survivor:

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of starfielder starfielder 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hagere
    hagere
    Participant

Hey guys, here’s sharing  a  video  that I came across, which I find inspiring. The message of the video is similar to the short sermon  that  Rob Bell  has  posted on his Facebook page yesterday;  choosing awareness over analysis in order to appreciate and embrace life as a precious gift. In this video, Alice Herz Sommer, a 109-year-old Holocaust survivor shared her secret to longevity, which is to look for beauty in life.  This is as much a reminder for me too, to not be  overwhelmed by the pains and sufferings in the world, but to acknowledge the fact that even where there are pains and sufferings, there are also beauty, hope and kindness around me.

“At age 108, Holocaust survivor Alice Herz Sommer still practices piano for 3 hours every day. At age 104, she had a book written about her life: “A Garden Of Eden In Hell.” At age 83, she had cancer. Alice survived the concentration camps through her music, her optimism and her gratitude for the small things that came her way – a smile, a kind word, the sun. When asked about the secret of her longevity, Alice says: “I look where it is good.”

Extract taken from this link .  http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=3008

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Profile photo of hagere hagere.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Profile photo of hagere hagere.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

i forwarded the link to some friends and family of mine. awesome! thanks!

Profile photo of Shift
    Shift
    Participant

Amazing! It takes a special kind of person to come back from the atrocities of the holocaust, and still look at life with such optimism. An inspiration to all!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

WOW! I NEEDED THAT – THANKS!!

I had two eye surgeries in January (one on each eye) to remove nodules on the edges of my corneas. I’ve had them for years but the symptoms (my eyes were dry and felt irritated all the time) worsened to the point that I needed to have them removed. The surgeon informed me the surgeries would cause my vision to drastically change which meant my former pair of glasses would do me no good after surgery – but I would have to wait until my eyes healed and stabilized before getting new glasses.

Everything looking blurry 24/7 – both close up and far away – for the last month and a half has been highly frustrating and depressing! ! The last few days it was really been grating on my last nerve and I have been in tears. What an inspiration that woman’s story is! If she can go through the Holocaust laughing and still seeing the beauty in life, then I sure as hell am going to try my best to do the same! 

I see my optometrist this Wednesday to get an eye exam and new lens prescription for new glasses! Please keep your fingers crossed for me that all goes as planned!

Helene
    Participant

Ja Jo – sorry you’ve been putting up with it for so long. And it’s in the interests of all of us TLS that your eyes are working fabulously, so my best wishes to you for Wednesday.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks Helene!

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this! :)

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I love this!!!!! Thanks.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I had an interesting experience when I was in Holland last year. We went to both Anne Frank’s house and Corrie Ten Boom’s House. Anne Frank’s house was closed in and claustrophobic. The lesson was about tolerance. And, even though her Dad, Otto lived many years after the war he never commented really. We don’t know how he moved on from that experience. Maybe he never did. I don’t know. (and when I say ‘move on’ there is no implication that he had too. I simply noticed there is nothing after.) When we went to Corrie Ten Boom’s house I was skeptical about it. I thought they would proselytize. But I was amazed because they tell the story of the Dutch resistance. They tell the story about Corrie Ten Boom’s life after the war and her own struggle to forgive and to not be bitter. She lived a long life! In her house in Haarlem, they spoke of how she moved towards forgiveness and letting go of bitterness. That was about all they said. I was so relieved by this story. It gave me hope that I can move on from my shitty experiences. (All of her family that was involved with hiding jews were exterminated. She was the only survivor.)

People like this beautiful woman in this video give me hope. Thank you for posting it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.