Abortion

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cowboyjunkey cowboyjunkey 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Danielle
    Participant

OK, this is a big one. I think most of us grew up being taught it was absolutely wrong, but I was interested to learn that this was not always the case in the church. What do you think about abortion now?

Derek
    Participant

I didn’t know it hadn’t always been considered absolutely wrong by the church. I’d be interested to learn more about that. Regarding what I think: I think it should be legal and accessible to all women. However, I have qualms about late-term abortions and think that perhaps those should be illegal. I don’t like abortion, but I think the government telling women what to do with their bodies is a reprehensible idea.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Abortion is a topic that polarizes people. I like what Derek says, “I don’t like abortion, but I think the government telling women what to do with their bodies is a reprehensible idea.” One of the best essays I ever read was in a news magazine and the woman said something about why she doesn’t picket to the effect of “There is no way I’m going to take my story and my journey with abortion and paint a couple of words on a poster to hold up and have it accurately describe my journey.” This being said, in my early years of my spiritual journey I was very conservative. I did believe abortion was wrong and should be illegal. I didn’t know any better. But now I see this view as misogynistic. I believe it should be legal. I wish the choice to have an abortion on no one. It is a terrible choice. I don’t like the idea that abortion is used for birth control but when companies refuse to pay for birth control/contraception (hello Hobby Lobby) then I see no other option.

Profile photo of seithman
    JarredH
    Participant

However, I have qualms about late-term abortions and think that perhaps those should be illegal.

Hi Derek.

Have you looked into the reasons women seek late-term abortions? If you haven’t, I would encourage you to do so. Women who seek late term abortions tend to do so because they absolutely need them. It’s almost always (if not always) a case that something horribly wrong has gone wrong in the pregnancy, there’s little to no chance of a live birth anyway, and continuing the pregnancy would have severe and possibly life-threatening consequences for the pregnant woman. To deny such a woman an abortion in those circumstances would be downright cruel in my mind.

Profile photo of seithman
    JarredH
    Participant

On the general topic, I’m definitely pro-choice. I also like the philosophy that abortions should be safe, legal, and rare. The thing is, making abortions rare requires policies and actions that — on the surface — have nothing to do with abortion. Things like the following:

1. Providing better financial support for impoverished women and families so that they can afford to care for any children they may have.
    2. Making effective and easy-to-use contraception available to everyone in order to prevent unexpected and unwanted pregnancies.
    3. Improving access to (and this includes affordability of) healthcare.
    4. Dismantling rape culture.
    5. Supporting rather than shaming women — including and especially teens and other young women — who do get pregnant.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Good list!

Profile photo of Melita
    Melita
    Participant

I, also, used to be strictly anti-abortion. But since my deconstruction I have become pro-choice.
    Personally, I couldn’t abort a healthy pregnancy. I was lucky enough to have 3 beautiful and healthy children and at the time had one of them not been healthy I still would have birthed and raised that child with all the difficulties it may have presented. Yet now, I would choose differently and thank god I never had nor ever will have to make that choice.

The list Jarrod presented is very good. And so is the whole pro-choice argument. But what about men’s choice? I don’t know why I think to include them but I always do. I think men should have an equal say in what happens to their progeny. And you may think that they do in that they have always dictated to women what we should do with our bodies etc etc. But that is not an equal say and does not look after the interests of both parties. For instance, there are many men who have been left out of the loop concerning partners or ex’s who have abortions. I believe this is a violation of a man’s rights. Because he is equally responsible for the life of that child.

Now, I know this would probably be a rare scenario but what about the guys who actually might want to become an active father? What if the opportunity existed for him to participate in the decision to carry or abort? What if the guy gave the mother support and finances during the pregnancy so he could then take full responsibility for raising it?

You never know… it could happen. Stranger things have!

Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I like your list jarredH. I don’t have a solid opinion on this topic so I’m happy to see it discussed here to see more sides. Usually people are very strong in their opinions so its very hard to have a discussion so its nice to see it thoughtful and respectable here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.