Another newbie learning the ropes

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet Another newbie learning the ropes

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kjstanton kjstanton 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kjstanton
    kjstanton
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I discovered TLS yesterday and have been looking around getting a feel of the place. It sounds like my story is probably very similar to many of yours. I grew up in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist home,and the challenge of trying to maintain that mindset gradually became too much as got older. I gradually moved to more liberal/progressive branches of the Christian tree, but even there I got tired of my full equality (as a woman and a lesbian – although it took me longer to acknowledge the latter) being a constant battleground. I several some years expressing my spirituality through yoga, new age practices, shamanic practices, and some Buddhist thought/practices, but despite my arguments with it, Christianity is still more “home” to me in a spiritual sense than anything else. I now understand Christianity and God very differently than I once did, but I still fight with the baggage of old messages (and family members who are still very conservative).

I currently work as a mainline seminary, and I find my spiritual community there. I do not feel a need for or interest in attending church. When I do go anywhere, I prefer the silence of an unprogrammed Quaker meeting to anything else (although I do appreciate the beauty of a well done Episcopal liturgy also). I tend to refer to myself as a “None” (or if pushed, an EpisoQuakerNone). I still retain spiritual practices and understandings from my various wanderings as part of my daily life.

I have doing a lot of exploring the role of faith and doubt in terms of the Japanese art form of Kintsugi that uses gold-filled lacquer to mend broken pottery pieces so that the repaired piece is more beautiful and more valuable than it was before it was broken. I feel like life has broken the faith of my childhood, but that as I allow my questions and my doubt to interact with those broken pieces, I am slowly creating a faith that is more beautiful, more valuable, and more alive than what I started with.

I look forward to being here with others who are willing to engage in spiritual conversations that allow room for doubt, questions, and explorations without the usual fear of ostracism or condemnation. Thanks to all of you for co-creating such a wonderful space.

Kenetha

David Hayward
    Keymaster

So nice to meet you @kjstanton! i’ve seen Kintsugi before and am very intrigued by it. For those of you who may not be familiar with it, here’s a link: to one of my favorite kintsugi bowls.

kjstanton
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome, David! That’s a really beautiful example. It’s amazing what they can do with this technique. I am quite enamored with the work and with the image as a metaphor for life and faith.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What a lovely way to describe your journey! Welcome :)

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Welcome Kenetha! I love this description. Thank you!

“I have doing a lot of exploring the role of faith and doubt in terms of the Japanese art form of Kintsugi that uses gold-filled lacquer to mend broken pottery pieces so that the repaired piece is more beautiful and more valuable than it was before it was broken. I feel like life has broken the faith of my childhood, but that as I allow my questions and my doubt to interact with those broken pieces, I am slowly creating a faith that is more beautiful, more valuable, and more alive than what I started with.”

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Kenetha – So glad you have joined us! Welcome! I too loved your description of the Kintsugi and how you use it as a metaphor for life and faith. Beautiful!

kjstanton
    Participant

Thanks so much for the welcome, Seeking_Heart, starfielder, and Jo White. I’m glad to be here, and I’m glad that the Kintsugi metaphor was meaningful to each of you too.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My wife and I work together from home. We have two different brands that we’re trying to develop. My wife’s is Redeemed. The idea is to go find not-quite antique junk and reinvent/repurpose it. I love the idea of useless becoming useful. She’s just getting started the stories are still in development.

I had not heard of Kintsugi, thanks for the inspiration, and welcome.

kjstanton
    Participant

Thank you, Wayne-Rumsby! I also love the idea of “useless becoming useful,” and I think the name of Redeemed fits an effort like hers well. I hope to hear more over time of what you two come up with for that. Thanks for the welcome!

Profile photo of Sandy G.
    Sandy G.
    Participant

Welcome!  :)

“I feel like life has broken the faith of my childhood.”    Me too, and I’m still searching for the beauty among the mess.

kjstanton
    Participant

Thanks so much for the welcome, SanG! And best of luck in finding the beauty among the mess. It’s a challenge sometimes, isn’t it?

Jeni Ananda
    Participant

I love the analogy of the gold filling the cracks! That warmed my heart! And I think it can be very accurate. I’m new here- exploring TLS today- and I’m wondering if I will fit in. I was raised Hindu- or rather an Americanized Hinduism- and I didn’t understand why ‘Christian’ was a bad word.

I haven’t attended church for 3 years – but I still hang out with God/Jesus every day- He’s my husband, lover, confidant, protector, etc. My experience is not bc I was taught to believe that way. I was accosted by it. I guess I’ll find somewhere to summarize my story- I don’t wanna ramble on on your thread, kjstanton. I think what you put here is beautiful. Thank you for sharing!! 

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Hi again @JeniAnanda… your story sounds fascinating!! if you want to share it, you could start a new topic under “meet and greet”… where you found this one. cool hair btw ;)

kjstanton
    Participant

Welcome JeniAnanda. I’m glad you’re here, and I’m glad this metaphor speaks to you too! I look forward to hearing more of your story.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.