Any Unitarian Universalists is the house? =)

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy Any Unitarian Universalists is the house? =)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of starfielder starfielder 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

My wife and I were thinking about checking out the UUA Church in our community…

Just wondering if anyone could share any experiences regarding the UU Churches…

Thanx and Peace!

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

I grew up in a UU church, before I fell in with the evangelical Presbyterians.  What sort of info are you looking for?  I’ve been to 3 different UU churches, and not one of them was the same as the others.  The one I grew up in is very large, almost a megachurch.  They have programs for all ages, but there’s a yearly fee of several hundred dollars to be a member and have your child in the classes.  They do a lot of community service, but they also have pretty strict requirements for membership, including helping out at church.  They’re not friendly toward people who want to continue to practice the faith traditions in which they were raised (that’s true for ANY religion, not just Christians).  The UU church downtown in my city is much smaller and is closer to just Universalist.  They do a lot of LGBTQ activism, and many members still consider themselves Christians.  The UU church my sister attends is very small, almost like a house church.  The services are almost like discussion forums, though they have some liturgy that they do before and after each service.

As you can see, there’s a pretty wide range.  I suggest you talk to someone from your local UU church or just go there and check it out.

thejadedfool
    Participant

It sounds like the one here is pretty wide open… It doesn’t appear that they consider themselves to be a “christian”… I will check it out… Thanx for the info Amy!

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

No problem. :)

thejadedfool
    Participant

If anyone else has any experiences to share regarding the UU’s… i would be interested in hearing them… =)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Lisa and I have visited one locally a few times. Very different. The messages are like seminars or workshops. No real expressions of emotion. “God” is never mentioned. Atheists, agnostics, believers I suppose, all mixed into one. It’s a strange experience for me because I compare it to my church experiences. But this is a new beast. We’ve met some cool people though. And learned a lot about Buddhism and other philosophies and religions.

thejadedfool
    Participant

Thanx David! Sounds like something that we may enjoy…  What you describe is about what I was getting from their website and such…

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Sure. It was a strange experience. Lisa and I laughed about it afterwards just because it was so different. They struggle here and I’m not sure how much longer they’re going to survive with their building financially. Even the concept of offerings is completely foreign to them.

thejadedfool
    Participant

To be  honest… the fact that it is so different from “church” is why I am looking into it… =) No desire here to go to a churchy church…

Peace

David

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I’ve gone to several Jeremy Taylor workshops at the UUC. Pretty cool workshops…. I also run with a bunch of UU who always remind me that we are one with the earth… the services are funny to me but probably because I spent so much time in church services. The two congregations in Berkeley are very different with different “feels” about them. I know that Jeremy prefers one over the other…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.