Devil's flashcards or meditation tool?

Blog Forums Reconstruction Personal Spirituality Devil's flashcards or meditation tool?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

what @Jo White said. :-)

Profile photo of JeffPrideaux
    JeffPrideaux
    Participant

The way I see it is the following:

For those who believe there is something spiritual beyond the material world, there is the ago-old question of what do you do with this belief.  There are lots of options.  IMO, mankind has invented many vehicles or ways to communicate or commune with this believed spiritual presence.  There has historically been lots of competition over these different ways.  Some of these ways have coalesced into organized religions with top-down structure, creeds, scripture, and theologies.    Others have stayed unorganized, more loosely structured, and more individual.  Many of the more organized ways (the religions) have built into themselves a prohibition from engaging in the competing ways.  Concepts such as “evil” , “Satanic”, “of the devil” become part of the lexicon of some of the organized religions to further keep people from engaging in the competing ways.  Of particular affront to the organized religions are the ways that don’t involve lots of top-down organization, scripture,  and theologies.  The biggest threat to organized religion is the idea that the organization itself (or even the scriptures and theology) is not needed to achieve the fundamental desire of communicating or communing with the supernatural or spirit world.  Taken to the extreme, even to hold in your hand or possess a deck of cards used by one of these unorganized competing alternative ways is said to be highly problematic and dangerous – even if you never use the deck to conjure up spirits but just as an aid to focus your mind.

CeciliaDavidson
    Participant

Permission to steal this?

The biggest threat to organized religion is the idea that the organization itself (or even the scriptures and theology) is not needed to achieve the fundamental desire of communicating or communing with the supernatural or spirit world. Taken to the extreme, even to hold in your hand or possess a deck of cards used by one of these unorganized competing alternative ways is said to be highly problematic and dangerous – even if you never use the deck to conjure up spirits but just as an aid to focus your mind.

JeffPrideaux
    Participant

By all means.  Steal away :)

CeciliaDavidson
    Participant

It just seems weird that there’s a growing polarization – or at least an extreme focusing on one end. “IF YOU’RE NOT WITH US OR BELIEVE WHAT WE BELIEVE, YOU’RE DAMNED.” So anyone even having angel cards would be seen as condemned.

Gerrard
    Participant

Its actually my doing that mr. savage soto is using the tarot now.

I believe they are a tool of spiritual self healing, spiritual self development, and a hermetic and alchemical way towards self transformation.

I don’t really use them as a way to divine the future. I find them intensely reflective psychologically and use them as a mirror unto my deeper self.

I believe they’re meant to be more private than most people make them out to be. They’re meant to be a secret in your closet, lock the doors and hide away kind of thing. I have no problem with family member’s views of the tarot as I keep them fairly low key except for the internet where said family members wouldn’t take a look anyways.

CeciliaDavidson
    Participant

Truly, they should be private, such as prayer should be.

JeffPrideaux
    Participant

I think of Tarot cards (and such) as a trying to see meaning within randomness not unlike seeing an image in an ink blotch or an image on toast or an image in the clouds.  We see what we want (or need) to see.  If we have a psychological need to see certain things, then these devices can help us with this seeing.

I would caution that there are probably better ways, though, to make certain important life decisions than seeing meaning in random patterns.  But at the same time, some decisions are hard to make and sometimes you do have to just “go with your gut”.  Perhaps these devices can help some people “go with their gut”.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Great point Jeff.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.