Esther!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Richard Richard 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

David Hayward
    Keymaster

awesome.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Thanks Amy! Great to read your blog post. I look forward to hearing more.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks!  Am now wishing I had titled it “Esther, You Ignorant Slut.”  Just kidding (sort of).

David Hayward
    Keymaster

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That’s awesome Amy! I love your sense of humor LOL!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Amy, “Esther, You Ignorant Slut.” made me laugh so hard I snorted. Thanks!

Profile photo of Shira C
    Shira C
    Participant

Any, great post! I think you hit the nail on the head in saying that Driscoll thinks Jews have been misinterpreting this (and every?) text. I think you’re also right to point out the commonalities between Esther and some of the other late writings — not only Song of Songs and Ruth, but Jonah and Job as well. Leaving aside Song of Songs, these are all, when you think about it, fine literary narratives — strong characters, good plots, great moral hooks to tie everything up at the end. It is, of course, impossible for a literalist like Driscoll to see that aspect of them…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes, exactly, Shira!  As a writer myself, I love the idea that the Bible is literature rather than literally true word-for-word.  As with any story, even ones I don’t like, I want to find the aspects that resonate in my soul.  Driscoll can’t do that.  Not only that, he is bound by his own narrative of “perverted” sexuality and male dominance that colors everything he writes or says.  By virtue of who he is, he must put this overlay on everything in order for his world to make sense to him.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My rage at Driscoll over his beyond-ignorant perspectives on Esther knows no bounds. There. I’ve said it.

And…I’ve decided that I need to find other ways to speak into this tension, to redeem her story (and my own), and to use/transform my anger. There’s something about taking Mark’s bait that I’m not willing to do; not willing to throw ANY fuel on that fire or give him any more room to respond than he’s already violently taken. As it is, all the oxygen is sucked out of the room when he is present in any form – on a screen, in a newspaper, on TV, in the church. So I will stay where I can breathe.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

I have a new appreciation for Vashti.  I guess if Driscoll asked his wife to do a strip tease in front of the church and she didn’t, then she wouldn’t be submissive enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.