Exciting News…

Blog Forums Reconstruction Personal Spirituality Exciting News…

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of paradoxpromised5 ParadoxPromised5 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I went to the most awesome local MeetUp group last night! It’s called Awaken Emerge Create! Spiritual Discussion Group. I found out about MeetUp Groups from Patty when we did a few life-coaching sessions. I was stuck in a rut and said I needed to find people with similar interests. She told me to google  MeetUp Groups. So I did, and I couldn’t believe all the great groups right here in my own back yard! There are book clubs, cooking clubs, hiking clubs, spiritual groups, craft groups, yoga/meditation groups, board game groups, etc. You name it, chances are it’s out there.

I had been debating about going for several weeks, but it took awhile to overcome the old fear tapes playing in my head. (You know – all those warnings about not getting involved with yoga, meditation, chakras, metaphysical stuff, etc because you are supposedly opening yourself up to “the occult.”)

But I finally took the plunge and I am so glad I did! OMG – it was like TLS forum discussions, but with LIVE PEOPLE! There are diverse spiritual beliefs/disciplines in this group – everything from metaphysical to Buddhist to non-traditional Christians to atheists to Wiccans – but each person’s viewpoint was listened to and respected. (Again, just like TLS!) I was totally blown away! I have been wanting to meet some local like-minded people for the last two years, and now it has actually happened!

Three “synchronicities” had already occurred to finally get me there last night, and the whole time I was there I was just in awe. I kept thinking this is TLS IN THE FLESH I couldn’t be more excited!!!

Last night’s discussion topic was Self-Compassion. Interestingly enough, the one thing that kept surfacing was how “religion/church” had negatively impacted our ability to have compassion toward ourselves. That’s how I found out there were at least 4 people there from Evangelical church backgrounds similar to mine. That was the final confirmation that I was in the right place! When I get the chance, I will tell them about TLS. You guys have been “my people” on line (and you will continue to be!)  and now I have found “my people” IN PERSON too! Is that exciting or what?

Just had to share the good news and I also want to encourage you guys to go on line and google MeetUp Groups and see what’s available in your area. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you find. And if there aren’t any groups you’re interested in, you can always start one. (If you build it, they will come!)

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Right on Jo! Enjoy!

Helene
    Participant

Go Jo ! And glad we’re not going to be shelved too !

Wade
    Participant

Total win! :-)

Wade.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sounds good @Jo White

I’m happy for you.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Jo, I’m happy for you.  But I’m still in the recovery ward….

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

I am so happy for you. :)  But a bit jealous too.  I long to have the kind of friends in flesh and blood that I find here on TLS.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

@Ang, come on over and we’ll take the dogs for a walk.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ang – you will not always be in the recovery ward, so don’t lose hope okay? I have been wishing to find local like-minded people for the last 2-3 years. But I’m glad I had this lone “wilderness” experience first because it forced me to learn to trust my own heart and mind and my own spiritual intuition/judgment. Now I don’t have to worry that I will just automatically glom onto any spiritual idea/practice that presents itself. Now I know how to weigh things and to trust my gut instincts, and if it isn’t right for me, I don’t have to embrace it. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks to ALL of you who are happy for me! Like I said, I’m not leaving you guys – you are way too near and dear to my heart! I’m just adding some people “with skin on” to my circle.  I know how much many of you want to find like minded people you can talk with IN PERSON too, and I just want to say I hope and pray it won’t be long before that happens for you.

(p.s. Don’t forget to go on line and check out MeetUp Groups in your area.)

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Starfielder, I would love to have a doggie get together!!!  Dog people are good people, yes?!!!

Jo, I am in a good place (I think) but I’m just not ready to meet up with anyone talking about anything spiritual/not spiritual.  I’m in the ‘Bible Belt’…    I like it  here at TLS.  I guess I am still a bit gun shy, huh?  Plus, I recently moved and am in a very small town, 2,000 people.  Everyone is really friendly and nice and I like it here  ….. but it is like they are in competition to see which church gets me!!!  I guess it isn’t as bad as it seems; just nearly everyone I meet invites me to their church.  And the bad part is…. THAT IS WHAT I USE TO DO TO EVERYONE!!!!!   I was the one who invited EVERYONE to church.  Makes me want to gag now when I think about it.

I did go online and checked out the MeetUp Groups.   The closest ‘non-church’ group I could find was a Wiccan. Not quite ready for that.  The next one called themselves a Heathens group but when I started reading about them, they sounded more like  TLS but it was 120 miles from me.  Surprised me they called themselves Heathens.   Then I found a Freethinkers MeetUp website and found quite a few groups that looked interesting.  Something to think about for later on maybe.

And, definitely something I am going to tell some friends about back in Dallas.  There are LOTS of groups there.  Again, THANKS for telling us about this.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

That sounds very cool @jo-white. it will be interesting to hear further developments.

Profile photo of paradoxpromised5
    ParadoxPromised5
    Participant

So happy for you, @Jo White!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.