From a reformed upbringing to an open mind.

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet From a reformed upbringing to an open mind.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of moxierocks moxierocks 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mxmagpie
    MxMagpie
    Participant

Hello all.

This community is what I’ve been gasping for for years now.

I’ve always felt a dissent with the brand of christianity I fell into, and though I’ve not lost the core of my faith, everything surrounding it has changed, and for the better.

For a long time I thought the ideas I had were solely my own, based on nothing and even “sinful”, but after seeing David’s cartoons I knew that I wasn’t alone. Most awesome feeling ever.

I live in the UK, not sure if anyone else on this site does, would be nice to see some fellow Brits.

I’m not sure how the denominations differ, but here in the UK there’s too many to count, and almost all are as insulated as the next.

Reformed Baptist churches especially have this air of “rightness” (and righteousness) about them.

In short; “If you disagree with us, you are disagreeing with God!”

That’s the theology I grew up around. My father was a perticular influence. He lived in the US for a while and studied at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. (Anyone know it? I’d be interested in any comments if so.)

As a result of these influences, I grew up knowing that I was sinful and worthless, that Jesus wanted to help me, and although his gift of salvation was free, I had to “work out” this salvation in my life, in order to prove to others that I’m saved… the implication being that if I didn’t was I even saved at all? (No was always the unsaid answer there). It’s only when I was about 18/19 that I decided to go to a different church from my parents.

This has lead to a legitimate baggage of mental problems revolving around self-loathing that I’ve dealt with since childhood.

It was the realization of these problems that really revealed to me that this message was not God’s. How could a supposedly spiritually enriching message and gift be so damaging? Surely Jesus didn’t sacrifice himself so we could spend our lives wishing we were dead.

Truth; he didn’t. I’ve broken away from this damaging theology and now I’m thinking and learning, and I’m sure that this community will help me do so.

David, thank you for making this site, it is an actual Godsend.

See you all along the way :)

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

WELCOME MXMAGPIE!! Thank you for sharing your story!!

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

I also like your art btw!!

Peace & Much Love

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Thanks magpie. where’s the art??????

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

Welcome, MxMagpie!  My background is Reformed Baptist first,  and then I explored several other denominations..so I know the kind of rigidity you’re referring to. I don’t have any first hand experience with the Westminster T.S., but it was where several of the pastors I’d been under had studied, or hailed others who studied there. I am so glad you are here with us, in this safe place to grow and become who we’re meant to be. :)

MxMagpie
    Participant

Oh, I’ve posted a link in the “about me” section on my profile. I need to update the blog though, heh.

Also thank you thejadedfool! On both counts :)

MxMagpie
    Participant

Oh, thank you moxierocks too!

Yeah I’ve no idea what the place is like theologically, it would be interesting to find out, but I know my dad’s pretty proud to have studied there. He really was welcomed and supported in the US, not so much back here though unfortunately.

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

I know that they hold and teach Reformed Christian and Presbyterian theology.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.