Halloween

Blog Forums Deconstruction Family & Friends Halloween

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of seithman JarredH 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

As a child I loved Halloween.  I mean absolutely reveled in it – with total childlike abandon.  I dressed up as a black cat or pretty princess or matching clown with my twin.  And we ran from house to house joyfully gathering candy.  Then I got born again.  And my mother, twin and I learned that we should not participate in a dark, pagen holiday with occultic roots.  And I felt apprension and creepiness on Halloween.  And a bit of guilt that I still wanted to participate, but mostly pride that I was following Jesus and staying at home on Halloween like a good Christian girl should.  I was even nice enough to keep our porch light on and hand out candy to all the little kids that were as ignorant as I used to be.

Then I grew up.  And I grew away.  And I had kids.  And I love Halloween through them. And I dress up with them.  And I wheel myself in my chair behind them as they trick or treat and I am as excited as they are to see what they got at the end of the evening.  We dressed as witches and black cats last night.  A definate no no from where I am from.  Some Christians might have been neutral on princesses or animals or Bible characters, not witches.

My girls and I had so much fun last night.  I don’t believe in the pagen, Satanic night, God would not approve of trick-or-treating boloney any more.  So why the lingering guilt and anxiety?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

it’s like PTSD!

Profile photo of Deanna Ogle
    Deanna Ogle
    Participant

OMG, that’s a perfect way to say that, David!

Last night I put on some face paint and make up like that of sugar skulls for Day of the Dead. (Google “day of the dead makeup”.)

While the few people I showed loved it, I still deliberated for several hours as to whether or not I should share it on Facebook because I expected to get a few stink eyes and lectures about “encouraging demonic things”.

I don’t believe it all that hogwash either, but I still have that lingering guilt too.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I have a friend told me today… and she’s really progressed liberally theologically… she was driving down the road when this huge wave of fear came over her, “What if there really IS a Hell, and I’m going there?” And then it passed. PTSD.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh, I’m so sorry that your friend was feeling that.  I can certainly relate.

Danielle
    Participant

PTSD – wow, light bulb moment, as Oprah would say, hehehehehe.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

:)

Profile photo of Christop
    Christop
    Participant

Halloween hasn’t really been a big thing where I live, but I wonder whether it’s helpful to take some time dwelling on death and darkness each year? A lot of people here who are anti-Halloween are more concerned about being expected to adopt ‘American’ customs, but I wonder whether this would actually be a helpful tradition to explore.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

When I was in the Philippines they actually party all night over the graves of their loved ones once a year.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

When I was in the Philippines they actually party all night over the graves of their loved ones once a year.

Danielle
    Participant

My first reaction was, that’s what funerals are for, but OK… dancing on graves. That’s interesting take.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Ya I wouldn’t be in to that. It’s a mixture of Catholicism and folk religion in the Philippines.

Profile photo of seithman
    JarredH
    Participant

Halloween hasn’t really been a big thing where I live, but I wonder whether it’s helpful to take some time dwelling on death and darkness each year?

Absolutely! Darkness is for a time of rest and planning. It’s also a time for review to see where one has been.

Which also brings up the other aspect of Halloween (or as in my spiritual circles, Samhain): veneration of the ancestors. It’s a time to remember, celebrate, and honor (not to mention grieve again, if needed) those who came before us, who helped us get where we are today. It’s a chance to reconnect to our past and clarify our future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.