Hey all

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet Hey all

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bill-strickland Bill-Strickland 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of paradoxpromised5
    ParadoxPromised5
    Participant

My name is Anna. Sometimes, Anna Joy depending on the day. I’m fleeing here for refuge. I’ll try to keep this light as possible.

I was baptized Catholic, confirmed Lutheran, then got “saved” in a fiery Baptist service on vacation one year. My faith began as nothing but fear. And, sometimes it still is. Because of other issues (related to, though not limited to) mental health, I can’t go to traditional churches anymore. It’s a huge trigger because I just cannot buy the angry Godde image any more. It literally makes me sick. It makes me wonder what came first.

I also can’t handle an all-male image of Godde. Trying to press the reset button on angry dad-god and going back to Godde as source and mother of us all. Jesus, Her prophet and Beloved, Anointed Way-Shower.

On good days, I rejoice in my faith. On bad ones, I feel like a heretic because I am all about feminism and queer rights, which seems like “do justice and love mercy.” On other days, I fear Godde rolls their eyes at me.

I’ve been a fan of David’s for a while. Once, Godde answered a huge prayer through one of the give-a-ways. So, I’m sure this will be a safe space. It’s going to be great getting to know everyone! :-)

Greetings and blessings

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

Welcome @ParadoxPromised5 I hope you can find a safe and comfortable place here.

ParadoxPromised5
    Participant

Thank you @Shroedingers-Cat. Also, love your handle.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

So wonderful that you’ve joined us. Welcome!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Welcome. Looking forward to hearing more of your story. Cheers.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m a heretic too, welcome. It’s been a safe, even life saving place for me, just knowing I’m not alone. One of the downsides of being honest with yourself about what you believe means you are often at odds with your family and friends. It is a long slow process, but sharing (both giving and receiving) in a safe place is very therapeutic. Truly churches should be this for people, sad they are not. This little gathering is almost church, but thankfully NOT.

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

Welcome from another feminist & supporter of LGBTQ rights.  :)

Jeni Ananda
    Participant

Welcome! I’m glad you are here- and I look forward to getting to know you better! There are all sorts of beliefs here- and I was hesitant at first- I thought I wouldn’t fit in- but there is much compassion and inclusion.
    I also believe that God is (well, actually- neither male nor female) I think God doesn’t have, like a physical body and doesn’t need genitalia – I think God just created that to procreate the species…and I support LGBT rights (maybe I’m not up to speed, but I don’t know what the Q is in Amy’s comment, but I’m sure I support them too… LOL  I was raised Hindu (yes, by white folks) but now am considered Christian. I haven’t attended church in 3 yrs & I used to be very active.
    One of my favorite examples in nature is the marine flatworm. It is both sexes- and they have a duel- they duke it out with their penises! It’s called penis fencing- whomever ends up stabbing the other with their penis and inserting their ‘victory’ ends up being the male & the loser ends up being the female. The male can continue life carefree and the now ‘female’ has to care for babies and find food for itself & the kids. Maybe I’m a little cynical about parenting, but I think this is HILARIOUS!  Way off topic- no  more drinking and chatting for me– oh who am I kidding?? LOL

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome and blessings to you and yours.  This is a safe place for folks like you, why do I know this?  ’cause so far they haven’t jettisoned me! lol.  ;P

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

welcome, may you find friends and healing here.

ParadoxPromised5
    Participant

Thanks @Admin @Kathy-D @starfielder and @Kathy-D for the welcomes and well wishings!

@Kathy I’m sure you’re a joy that people just don’t know how to deal with. :-)

@Wayne-Rumsby, It is definitely a process. The format here reminds me of group therapy which perhaps has helped me the most out of everything. And yes, it is a real shame the questions, wounds, and struggles cannot be addressed without shame, blame, and recrimination in church proper. Like you kinda hinted at, maybe, WE, all of us together, no matter faith tradition are the church.

@Amy feel free to hit me up any time if you need to discuss or vent about anything feminist related. lol.

Actually, that goes for everyone, really. Talking. :-)

@JeniAnanda, Please consider not stopping drinking and chatting. Because the whole worm penis fighting thing is such a great image. Just hilarious. And, just to be clear, I don’t literally believe Godde has a gender like we do either, just that it’s important that when we talk of Godde, we allow everyone to see at least a little of themselves in the imago dei, and vice versa, because, well, I believe we need that. It’s kind of rhetorical, to a point. hehe. And then, there are those times where authors talk about the maternal heart in scripture, then refuse to use feminine (or even gender neutral language).  It’s like, it’s okay to compare Godde to a midwife in the Bible but we can’t call Godde Her when we do? DOUBLESPEAK. Anyhoo. </rant over>. Oh, and Q stands for queer. People who don’t fit in the male, man – female, woman binary, and/or the LGB binaries either. lol. ANyway, seriously, worms will be on my mind. FOREVER.

Jeni Ananda
    Participant

Yay!

Worms!
    There are a lot of verses in the Bible about the femininity of God.  I believe both natures, mothering & fathering come from God. Once, I heard a pastor talk about the different words used in Genesis- That it says God made ‘man’ in Their image- male and female He made them. Then, later- when it says God took Eve out of ‘man’ and then there was Adam & Eve- that the word Adam is different than the word ‘man.’  He proposed that God first made humans to be BOTH male & female, then- when ‘man’ was lonely (which is also really fascinating- that the first human- in perfect relationship with God- is STILL lonely..hmmm bunny trails) anyway- so this pastor proposed that God pulled them apart and made them separate- now they are two entities who can choose to co-operate and be one in flesh, but in two bodies.   It’s almost more beautiful.   His strength supporting where she is weak, her strength supporting where he is weak. And the word ‘Helper’ for Eve is only also used for the Holy Spirit. So, I don’t think ‘helper’ means unequal.
    I believe at the core of who we are is neither male nor female, or both- I have masculine qualities as well as feminine. I think that’s what Jesus meant when He said: “In heaven we will not be given in marriage, we will be like the angels.” IMO- my spirit or soul or whatever is sexless- or both masculine and feminine. It’s crazy to picture myself as not ‘female’ because I identify with it- but I think in our truest form- we are made in the image of both. Because God is both.

I had been taught in the church to not view God as feminine- but I realized I was getting hopeless that I couldn’t look to God on how to be a good mother. Motherhood has messed me up more than anything else. I struggle so greatly, wanting to be a better mom- my childhood was awful, abusive house- just me & my mom- I didn’t have an example of what it looks like to teach someone love & kindness. I know I shape their view of the world. I teach them how to see beauty, how to be spontanous, I’m training them in generousity- but I needed to know I could look to Holy Spirit to teach me how to mother- but if the church was right- God couldn’t teach me how to mother, if He was only a Father. It was a strange way- but God finally showed me enough and lifted up His skirt, and breastfed me- and helped me to see that God is a wonderful mother also. heh he <rant over> lol

ParadoxPromised5
    Participant

@jeniananda thanks for your response. I apologize if what I said brought up some hard stuff. There’s more I’d like to ask, but I’m in a state of spoonlessness right now. Blessings.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@jeniAnanda you continue to impress me with your ability to turn a phrase (your way with words).

“but God finally showed me enough and lifted up His skirt, and breastfed me- and helped me to see that God is a wonderful mother also. heh he <rant over> lol”  

I really do love this.   I know, I know I am a man and am supposed to cringe at these endearing images, but I really do love this.  

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

@ParadoxPromised5 :

@Amy feel free to hit me up any time if you need to discuss or vent about anything feminist related. lol.

I can assure you that she will, without prompting……:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.