I love David, Yes I do! I love David, How 'bout YOU?

Blog Forums Deconstruction Family & Friends I love David, Yes I do! I love David, How 'bout YOU?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Emily Riley

since David has been getting significant backlash (http://youtu.be/v7Su5xd18TU) lately for his John McArthur post, I wanted to start a post with specific ways that David has helped us.  In my former church days we would have called this “pointing out evidences of grace.”  Bleh… the cliche language still gets me.  today i simply call it helping to cheer up a friend who is down.  helping a friend see things objectively when the thing that seems biggest is the negativity from one little shit-faced fucker.  So, be as specific as you can.  For those who are new and don’t know David that well yet, maybe this will give you a boost to get to know him better. He is amazing.  He is open and understanding and caring and loving and kind.  and he motivates me to tackle the hard questions without fear.

but the first thing he did was help me when i couldn’t log in to the site.  I didn’t know him at all, was trying to sign up to be a member here, and my stupid iphone was freezing (because that’s what technology does to me… it hates me lol).  he helped me reset the password, figure out what my phone was doing wrong and how to access the site.  it was such a little thing and he probably doesn’t remember it at all, but to me, that first impression was this famous cool blogger dude who made awesome cartoons cared about the little problem of my day.  and on so many days since that day, he has done the same.  whether with computer issues with my blog settings, encouraging me as I’m getting back into running after 2 foot surgeries or just simply making me laugh or think by doing what he does best, David has been a great friend to me.

how about you?  we can’t let this fucker get him down.  :)

JCSchneider
    Participant

Brilliant idea, Emily!

There are many things I could say about what David means to me, even though I’ve known him only since June. But I’ll stick with just one for now.

I *love* the way he pops out of the blue with “I really love you guys” or some variation of that. I can remember hearing words like this only a handful of times from the multitude of pastoral types I’ve experienced in my extremely varied background. He genuinely loves us, and spreads that love like honey on a toddler’s fingers. Every time he sends us one of those random “love” posts, wounds created by other leaders are gently eased, and I know one day soon, will be well and truly healed.

shade
    Participant

my first interactions were a series of reassurances that this would be a safe place. and then when my husband gave the community access as a gift to me i couldn’t get in either (maybe there’s something we could fix there). he helped me untangle, and proved to just be kind.

maybe that sounds pale, but it’s not. it’s really not. when you’ve gotten used to hatred and disdain from any authority, someone like david shines like a light. when i least expect it, when i need it most, he pops up with an ‘i love you’ or ‘you’re awesome’. some little building block that helps me keep going. and he’s listened to some of the darkest parts of the night and let me find my way without judging, teaching, or forcing.

beyond that, he’s been an encouraging force as i try to write and tell my story.

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

Emily, like you, my first direct interaction with David was helping me get signed up for this site.  That alone made me think, “This guy is pretty cool.”  He chatted on FB with me while we sorted things out so I could log in.  Since then, we’ve messaged a few times, and I think collaborating on a story/cartoon last spring (reaction to something about praising God for bad sex, LOL) was one of the most fun things I’ve done as a writer. :)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

shy

Profile photo of JeffPrideaux
    JeffPrideaux
    Participant

Whoever made that video that Emily referenced has their head so far up their ass it isn’t even funny.   They were trying to equate David’s goal of spiritual independence with McArthur’s goal of dictating what everybody should believe.  One says “believe this or you are going to burn in hell”.  The other says something like follow your bliss and be comfortable in your own skin.

But anyway, my first real interaction with David was talking to him on my meet a member podcast.  He was completely disarming and easy-going.  I’m usually quite guarded when talking to people for the first time but David made it seem like we have known each other for years.    The world definitely needs more Davids.  We need more people that can find commonality among people as opposed to  always looking for ways to divide people into us vs them or saved vs damned or this vs that.   A necessary component to making the world a better place is to point out those that are wrapped up in the us vs them mentality.   If there is a God, I’m sure that critter is a lot more like David than McArthur.  That’s for sure.

Profile photo of SassyShae
    SassyShae
    Participant

I first came across David’s drawings a while back and my first thought was, “This guy gets it.  He gets me.” I’ve followed him for a long time. I pondered joining TLS for a long time, but I wasn’t ready. I wasn’t ready to say, “I give up on trying to fit into the stained-glass box.”

Yet, each day, David invites people to join TLS with each drawing. One night, I decided to dive in.  I am so glad I did!

David, thank you for starting this community where I feel safe to work out my spiritual path. Thank you for putting yourself out there, especially when you know stupid, idiotic Pharisees are going to come after you.  I appreciate it so much!  My best friend now reads your blog every day and she is a bit new to deconstructing her faith, but I’m hoping she will join me here one day. I’ve told her what a safe, loving place this is. And you, David, are the architect of this safe space.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I am so glad I decided to come on here and stumble upon this thread. (I am on a two day FB TLS break).  But I heard about what happened and watched video.  That guy is an ass.

I am so glad we can encourage you, David.

You are  so down to earth.  I, too, felt so comfortable talking with you for my podcast.  Thank you for being so easily accessible.  I know you are busy  but  I appreciate how you usually respond to my FB messages right away.  I know you get discouraged but I love how you bounce back. David,  you are so very brave.  Thank you for giving us a safe space.  Can’t wait to meet you some day!

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

I find it difficult to put into words what TLS and David means to me.

I was introduced to TLS by my husband.  Quickly I became aware that David and TLS was/is a safe place to question, unravel, think, get angry and totally lose my shit AND still be loved and not judged.

I echo each of you in saying that the love from David sooths the wounds from the past and hurts from leader types.  It brings healing and much needed validation when a person is stuck in the ‘ I’ll never be good enough’ rut.

David, you are a wise and compassionate man.  You truly show genuine love and acceptance.  It is an honor to know you.

Gregory Lease
    Participant

David, I love your vulnerability and authenticity. . . you are what you are with no apologies or explanations, and I find that very refreshing.  This community has filled a real void in my life for authentic fellowship with others who value acceptance and encouragement more than being right, or correct, or any other unworthy measure.  Your willingness to go the extra mile to make this happen for so many of us is worth more than I can express.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Why do I love David? HMMMmmmmmm. Let me count the ways…

1) David has taken time our of his busy schedule to help me with several computer problems that usually occur due to ignorance on my part. Yet he was always kind, eager to help, and never condescending.

2) David is wise, encouraging, funny, kind, welcoming, compassionate, authentic, honest, genuine and vulnerable.

3) David creates AWESOME  cartoons, books, blog/commentary, lap letters, interviews, etc.

4) David has awesome insights regarding deconstructing and I love that he encourages all of us to follow our own path and become spiritually independent.

5) David is very courageous in standing up to all the TOXIC, legalistic bullies who write vitriolic things to him and about him. (Yet he never attacks the person – only their viewpoint.)

6) David has gone to great personal expense (time, energy, money, etc.) to create and keep this awesome TLS community up and running and a healthy place for all of us to question, vent, swear, laugh, and kick around all kinds of ideas where NO subject is off limits!

In a nutshell…David, you’re my hero!! Thank you so much for ALL you do for all of us in countless ways every single day!  Thanks for being our unofficial shepherd here at TLS.  YOU ROCK DAVID!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.