Is there anyone here familiar with chi running?

Blog Forums Introductions Chit Chat Is there anyone here familiar with chi running?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hagere
    hagere
    Participant

See this video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26liWMDH8U

I learnt that Chi running applies the simple principles of anatomy, physics and Nature in the running position and motion, in order to increase energy efficiency, speed as well as reduce stress, impact and injury, and the principles can be summarized in two main ideas: asking the strong parts of the body to do small jobs, and cooperating with the forces of Nature

I’ve also  noted that chi running involves aligning the body posture with the force of gravity by leaning forward slightly with relaxed ankles to bring about an external propulsion. In this way, it is possible to run without using the legs for propulsion. It also involves allowing the feet to land under the posture line while moving with the force of the approaching ground, and then lifting up the heels back via bending the knees, thus making a circular motion to propel one forward effortlessly. The arms would also swing to the rear naturally and smoothly.

According to the  video  this is considered a natural way to run because kids instinctively lean slightly forward when they run too. This posture is also observed to be adopted by ancient Egyptians, Kalahari Desert San People, Kenya Marathoners and Tarahumara Indians, as mentioned in running-related writings, such as “the tilt of a runner’s body” and “running is just a controlled fall”.

What do you guys think?

Does anyone have tips  on running that you’d like to share with us?

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I’m not a Chi runner. But when I started running I did intervals. It’s supposedly 98% injury free way to run. And I will say I never did get an injury. I ran 6 half marathons with a split of 1 min walk and 8 min run. My times were competitive with all the folks who didn’t do intervals. I have participated in several “good form” clinics. I don’t subscribe to the barefoot running craze… probably because I am old and creaky. My favorite shoes tend to be Brooks or Mizunos. I did run my last Half Marathon in Nikes. But I don’t tend to like Nike shoes since they are more about looking good than running well. (IMHO) I like it that the indians and egyptians have a natural propensity towards Chi running but, frankly, I’m an American White lady and I run like one. :-P   And I’ve now completed 9 half marathons and my 10th will be next week… Keep us posted on how it’s coming!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

This is really interesting because I’ve observed this with myself when I run. One day I noticed that when I leaned forward it required less effort. Actually, how this happened was I read about barefoot runners and that I should run on the balls of my feet rather than my heels. So when you run on the balls of your feet you have to lean forward. Anyway… it’s kinda cool that this actually has a name and is being developed for runners. Now I wanna go run :) Thanks @hagere!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@starfielder. So cool.  I am a runner too.   And I run intervals of 3 min running to 1 min walking.  haven’t tried a half marathon yet, but one day. got a 5k Sunday.   I like leaning forward a bit when I run , but I had heard it was supposed to be bad for the knees.   I read a book that says to picture yourself suspended from a string connected to the top of your head like a puppet, and that is the posture that is best.  But all of these experts have their preferences.  And my favorite shoes are mizunos. Tried vibrams five-fingers and my feet rebelled.

starfielder
    Participant

I think I simply try to keep myself moving forward. I’m trying to keep going. Whether I lean forward, do intervals, tuck my butt, throw my shoulders back, run on the balls of my feet, eat chomps, gag down gu, drink nuun water, look like I know what I’m doing or like a dork… I’m lapping everyone on the couch. And that ‘lapping the couch’ is a huge motivator.

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

LOL @starfielder     I know I must look like a nut out there running sometimes but as was told to me ‘…no need to apologize, half the population is still sitting on the couch’! :)

The ‘chi running’ makes sense.  But I was told NOT to lean forward. LOL

starfielder
    Participant

@SaraJ, my coach is always telling me to throw my shoulders back and lift my chin…when I remember I do it….

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Okay just ran 4.5 miles leaning forward.   Not bad.  I am def feeling soreness in areas I havent before.  Felt a little more relaxed the first 2.5, by mile 4 I was feeling a bit of tension in the quads, but struggled through.  I ran a 10:20 like that, not terrible.  typically I have run it anywhere from 10:15 – 11:00/mile average.

starfielder
    Participant

@John, nice work! I ran 7.5 miles last night and tried to remember to lean forward and run on the balls of my feet more since I tend to be a heal striker. I ran about the same speed as you. I think when I lean forward I tend to hunch over. sigh. It’s always something… and I know, I know I need more core strength… whatever.

I did drink a very nice beer with my husband when I was finished with my run which is a bonus!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@starfielder good observation.  Yes I also hunched over a bit and kept trying to throw my elbows back to kind of even things out.   Whew 7,5 miles. Nice run and speed.  I think the magic happens in the ankles.  Of course i have always thought this.  The book I read on running is by Jeff  Galloway. He too speaks of using as little muscle as possible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.