Went to my old church for the first time today

Blog Forums Reconstruction Atheism, Agnosticism & Science Went to my old church for the first time today

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

A few months ago when my very dear friend and her husband were expecting their first child, they asked me to be their baby’s godmother.  They are members of my old church community and we brain stormed on names to use instead of godmother.  There were many hilarious variations, but we never quite settled on one.

This morning I attended church for the first time in over 2 years.   It was the dedication ceremony for my friend’s baby.  Last night we talked about it and while they know I no longer believe in god, nothing about that prohibits me from having this important role in their son’s life.   When her husband said, “You can help raise him to be a thinker,” I was humbled and at a loss for words (so I cried like a sap).  Bolstered by their love and support, I stood by their side this morning, in front of a pastor I’d had a less than pleasant parting with, and watched as sweet baby R was dedicated.  It was then that I learned that I was to be called his “Other Mother.”  There was mostly laughter as his dad said this, but there was also some disapproval from a few members of the body.

The amazing thing was 3 years ago I would have cowered under their disapproval.  Not out of being timid, because I’m most certainly not, but because of fear of losing their approval.   In front of that congregation, standing beside my friends who loved me unconditionally, my heart felt good.  On the drive home I reflected on a topic that was started here a couple days ago by Moxie about hiding her atheism.    I wondered how many of here also have friends who will stand up to the church for them that we don’t even know exists?  It makes me sad to imagine that some may not have even one.

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

Servantgirl, that was beautiful to read!!

I don’t know what else to say..just..wow! Thanks so much for sharing this! And congrats on being an,”other mother”! :D

Love, moxie

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you so much for sharing this, Servantgirl. Lovely.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

amazing. thanks for sharing servantgirl.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Wow powerful story Servantgirl. Thank you. I like your friends!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This story was so full of love and bravery that it brought tears to my eyes. It stood in such contrast to that which I would call the Not Love and Not Bravery expressed somehow by your detractors. My wish would be that All of that Love and All of that Bravery would be able to, in some measure, seep into the hearts, minds and consciousness of every person in that church. Starting with and including the pastor. All my best wishes to you, your friends and your new Soul Son.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What a beautiful account. Congratulations on your new appointment. KG

Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

Thanks guys.  I have to admit that I couldn’t wait to share this you yesterday :)

I’ve just been feeling on edge and annoyed about people having to hide how they feel about faith that it was such a refreshing change.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

CONGRATS on being “another Mother” ServantGirl! That is SO cool!

I’m so glad it turned out to be such an awesome experience for you and your friends (in spite of the few sourpusses who didn’t approve.) I hope I can be half as brave as you were, when the time comes for my son and his wife to dedicate their son at their church. Of course I want to be there for the ceremony, but right now I can barely stomach the thought of even stepping foot inside a church building!

I have no idea what to do if the ceremony includes the pastor asking the grandparents to pledge their commitment to help raise their grandson “in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” ??? I’ll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I’ll just ask you guys for some ideas so I won’t have to stress over it -ha!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

OOPS! Correction: I meant “Other Mother” – not “Another Mother.” Sorry!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.