It’s about that time…

Blog Forums Deconstruction Spiritual Abuse It’s about that time…

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I am putting this in here, because of the spiritual abuse that some folks are willing to dispense based on their own warped values for marital sanctity…  I blogged this the other day:

I was reading an article that referred to something Pat Buchanan recently said in regards to Christians having to enter a new age of civil disobedience compared only to the racial civl rights movement led by Martin Luther King Jr.

In the article Pat claims that Christians will be forced to disobey laws that go beyond God’s standard by giving LGBTQ folks civil liberties like everyone else.  It was a bit infuriating.  I can only hope that not many people listen to this psychotic babbler these days.

But where does Pat get his will to break the law in order to protect the sanctity of marriage as he would say?  Is it from the Bible?  Is it the whole Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve debate?   I have no clue.  However when I think of Christianity and the model for Christians, my mind does not wander towards the Old Testament, nor does it float on past the Gospels to what Paul had to say.

No my model for Christianity is Christ himself.  So let’s examine a commonly known story about Jesus.  This one is more commonly called “Jesus and The Woman at The Well.”  It is found in the book of John and the story picks up around verse 2.  The quotes below are from the NIV version.

So here we go, Jesus is on the run again trying to avoid his pharisaical enemies when he stumbles upon a woman at Jacob’s well.  He strikes up a conversation with her by actually asking her for a drink.

“You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” says the woman.

According to custom, Jews were not to speak to Samaritans, and Samaritan women were even worse to converse with.

Jesus says,

“If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

First things first here. Why is Jesus talking to her? She is a foreigner and a whore (which are both equally bad).

He does more than just talk to her though, he gives her an invitation into the inner circle immediately upon talking to her.  He tells her “You would have asked, and he would have given it.”

Wait a second where is the lists of things he requires of her first in order to be “in?”  What about the list of things she should do afterwords in order to be holy?

Keep reading.  In verses 16-19 look at what they talk about:

16 He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”
    17 “I have no husband,” she replied.
    Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”
    19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet.

What?  Where is the condemnation?  Are we supposed to believe that condemnation is implied?  Sanctity of marriage, this woman has been married 5 times and she is currently co-habitating with a man.  In Jesus’ day that was enough to pick up a few stones and take aim.

Instead, Jesus seems to be kidding with her, “You are right when you say you have no….  and what you have said is quite true.”   I can imagine him sitting quietly and smiling at her while he says this and then moving on to the important stuff…

What was the important stuff?  He wanted her to know in NO UNCERTAIN terms that she was accepted, loved, welcome and perfect just the way she was, oh and her boyfriend too.

23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

This is one of the most quoted verses in the Bible.  Jesus is saying it to the foreign whore.   Here is what he says in my own words.

“Put down all of that religious BS that segregates and isolates and only serves to spread a kind of elitism that some call “true worship.”   Instead worship God with what is inside you and with who you really are.  These real people, as opposed to the plasticy religious types…  these are the ones that the Father is seeking, they are the true worshippers. God is made up of all of those things inside of you that are so important and much more, not a list of rules and images, prejudices and hatred.”

The time has come for true worshippers to welcome the “other” with open arms, and allow them into the inner circle that Jesus would have wanted them to be in from the beginning, unconditionally.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Nice post @john. Jesus was ahead of his time.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well said John – AMEN and AMEN!!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I like your Jesus John. Thanks.

Wade
    Participant

This is exactly why my favourite story is of the woman who washed his feet with her tears.

Total acceptance. No exceptions. That is so hard for us humans to do.

Wade.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great post John, I love that story so much.  I am often amazed that the men who put the Bible together chose to let us even imagine that Jesus broke social taboo’s all the time in HIS walk.  Love this story, and your blog thoughts!

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

Great words; renewing.  I’ve been feeling a bit down because of some hurtful things a friend wrote in her comments on something I wrote.  She said she thinks that having a book in the Kindergarten library that features families with two moms or two dads is “inappropriate” for 5-year-olds and that her children should be allowed to use the Bible as a “reference” in a science paper.  But the way she said it was along the lines of, “But I know some gay people! And I tolerate them! And they’re okay with the fact that I don’t approve of their lifestyle!”  Jesus wasn’t into reminding people all about his disapproval; I wish I could say the same about his followers.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks folks!  @Amy sorry to hear about how your friend’s comments made you feel.  I can only say that at one time, I was just like her.  I was scared of the unknown and allowed too many people with the wrong ideas to bolster that fear into strong wrong opinions.   I clung to the whole ‘hate the sin – love the sinner” stance, as if somehow I could claim to love someone whom I clearly did not respect as an equal.  But you are right, these stories of Jesus show us a person who clearly understood human dignity and somehow was able to restore and preserve that dignity to those who had lost it, and those who were stripped of it by the religious authorities of that time. It is what empowers me to face off with the religious of my day I think in an effort to do the same.  :)

Profile photo of Syl
    Syl
    Participant

Well said, John.

Concerning Pat Buchanan’s mention of civil disobedience in protest of the legalization of gay marriage  – am I the only one who has the sense of falling down a rabbit hole or stepping through a looking-glass? It seems entirely perverse to invoke Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement when what’s being protested is equal rights – basic civil rights and human decency. There is absolutely nothing about civil recognition of a marriage contract between two adults – regardless of their gender or ability to produce offspring – that threatens traditional marriages. Nothing. Disallowing discrimination which used to be legally sanctioned is not itself discrimination against the discriminators. Aaaaaaagh!

Profile photo of off-the-map
    Off the map
    Participant

My partner and I were married this last December 9th in Seattle, Washington.  The first day it was legal in our state.  We had planned to go to City Hall which was open with extended hours (on a Sunday!) but there was some confusion about whether they would be able to accommodate everyone and we did not want to be on a waiting list.  The First Baptist Church in downtown Seattle put out a call,  “anyone” who wished to be married on the 9th could sign up and be part of a group ceremony.  They  did not ask if we loved Jesus.  They did not ask for money.  They did not add us to their mailing list.  They asked us to sign a waiver so the media could use photos (which they did – front page of several papers – the publicity was certainly worth a lot).  The church was packed.  Their adult choir, organist, brass ensemble, and an LGBT youth choir all participated in the service.  As we, the 25 couples who were married at that service, processed and took our seats at the front of the church, the place erupted in cheers and applause.  The service was tasteful, considerate, generous.  Afterward, the entire gathering moved to the reception hall which had cake, and champagne and punch and a chocolate fountain.  They had a photographer on hand if you wanted wedding photos. They made a DVD and sold it to us at cost.

Today, as I think about this event, about the thoughtfulness of strangers and the enthusiasm of a congregation of faith, I am humbled.  Not only did they meet us where we were but the asked for nothing in return.  My partner is not a person of faith having long ago thrown religiosity out with the church’s hypocrisy.  On that day, in that place, we were welcomed, celebrated, cheered.  It is difficult to express how astounding it was to have strangers from the community rally to provide this opportunity and put significant effort into a very public expression of who they thought they were called to be – as Christians.

I grew up with the fundamentalist hysteria in my ear – every Sunday and throughout the week. I believed because I wanted to belong to my church and my family.   I knew that disagreement meant rejection.  I have had a very long journey getting to this place, where I am strong in who I am and I do not need answers.

I do not care if the churchist pundits pitch fits and call for “action”.  In my mind, they holler and wail against a congregation that opened doors and loved their neighbors and  fear and hysteria will wither in the face of that.  So – when “they” ask us to ostracize “the other” find a way to stand up and stand with and stand for. It is healing when we do that.

peace.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow! What an amazing display of TRUE Christ-likeness! That is so beautiful – thanks for sharing that! My hat’s definitely off to that Baptist Church for daring to be loving and accepting rather than condemning and hateful. Hope a lot more churches will stop and THINK and respond with loving acts like that!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

p.s. Congrats to you and your partner! I hope you have a lifetime of happiness together!

Profile photo of off-the-map
    Off the map
    Participant

Thanks , Jo!  I thought it would be good to share the joy.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Off the map, Loved your story.  In 1976, my husband and I had a hard time finding a baptist pastor that would perform the ceremony for us because we were both divorced.  Things do change, huh?

It just occurred to me about a month ago that I didn’t understand what right the government had being in the marriage business at all and when that all started to begin with.  Why does anyone have to give the government money to give someone a piece of paper telling them they can get married?  That just seems crazy to me.  Seems the latest laws passed for marriage pertain to what happens in case of divorce and the children.  Life!?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I am thinking those were folks from the American Baptist organization.  I varied and lovely group of folks.  That was awesome to read OTM.  Thanks for sharing.  I am always happy to hear of congregations that are truly inclusive of other Christians and others from all walks of life.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.