Never Underestimate the Importance of Community

Blog Forums Reconstruction Personal Spirituality Never Underestimate the Importance of Community

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

I was one of the very first members of TLS.    I had just cancelled my very successful atheist blog to seek the next chapter of my life.   It had served it’s purpose as a place for me to vent and talk about the things that made me leave religion.   It was during that time of change that David announced he’d be starting this new project.   I hesitated to join for about 5 minutes.  I’m a non-theist on a journey that has nothing to do with religion, I wasn’t sure if this was the right place for me.  Then I remembered this was the naked pastor I was dealing with, the people who would pay to be a part of such a community would be amazing.

You guys have proven to be more than amazing.  I’ve learned so much here.  Some of my long held believes about religion have been validated.  Some of you are in places I inhabited as a believer and have managed to hold tight to your faith.  Some of you are bloggers I followed independently for years not realizing we’d one day meet in this space.   Most importantly I’ve met so many wonderful new people here of all backgrounds.   I used to share more, but lately I find myself just soaking it all in.   I’ve shared before that I wish a place like TLS had been around when I was struggling because it would have saved me lots of time, heartache, and money – seminary classes are expensive! lol

I’ve been gone for about a month.   My life has been so extremely busy with work and training for my first obstacle marathon.   However, in the short time we’ve been in 2013, I’ve dealt with deep heartbreak related to my father and a partner.   I’ve been a little off my game and have been keeping a lot of this close except for sharing with a few friends.    Then I got a message from David this week that reminded me that I had an entire community of friends here.  When you’ve spent years keeping secrets from your community as I did when I was in the church, it’s hard to remember what a resource TLS really is.

So I’m back and I can’t wait to get caught up.  Usually we write a message like this when we join, but I just wanted to thank you all again for reminding me what community is suppose to look like.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

wow @servantgirl …. just wow. love you :) we’ve been friends for years now i think. you’re awesome.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

servantgirl, I’ve missed your voice. Thank you for your post! Sending you lots of love!

Gary
    Participant

Servantgirl…So looking forward to your voice again.  I have always found your comments to be simply amazing and helpful whether they hit me where I am or not.

Welcome back.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

So good to have you back ServantGirl!! Sorry for your recent heartaches. You know we are here for you whether you want to interact or be silent. I do miss hearing you share though.

Profile photo of Syl
    Syl
    Participant

So glad you’re back – I’ve missed you!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@servantgirl welcome back. Sorry to hear of your rough start in 2013.

Profile photo of Jacquie
    Jacquie
    Participant

Hi Servantgirl….it’s nice to come on TLS and read your update….so welcome back to our community.  I have been missing in action for some months now as well and am just beginning to re-enter all that is connected with the www, (and especially with TLS).  It’s a lot to take in and catch up on just now but I think you’d agree that “re-connecting” is an important first step.

We are fortunate to be able to travel this path, one with another and be encouragers/listeners without the trials/complexities of church….so nice and reassuring to be amongst friends.

After your rocky start in 2013 I sure hope things begin to look up for you (((hugs))).

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

@servantgirl  Glad you are here! :)

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I was just today thinking about the need/desire to get together with like-minded people and how I have none. Except for TLS. It is good to know and be reminded that I am not alone. Glad you’re back Servantgirl :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I was looking for you and missed you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.