the most influential book in my life:

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy the most influential book in my life:

This topic contains 61 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David S David S 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Most recently, the book that helped me the most was “What Shall We Say?”  by Thomas Long.  I was in a terrible dilemma at the time I read it.  I was stuck fast trying to reconcile innocent suffering with a loving God.  I could not live with a God who’s plan included innocent suffering, yet I could not live without God.  Long helped me to begin the work of forgiving God for whatever way He is implicated in innocent suffering (if He is at all).  I felt profound relief  when I was able to do that.  Long’s book gave me permission to do it.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Sounds like a good book ChaseM. I remember reading something by him about preaching.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow. Where to begin?

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, Sue Monk Kidd
    Women Who Run With the Wolves, Clarissa Pinkola Estes
    Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

I could go on…

StarryNight
    Participant

Okay, this may be a little cliche, but for me it was the Bible. But not the Bible that was delivered to me in pieces during the first 22 years of my life, but the book that I had the honor of reading and studying inductively for 9 months straight when I was in college.

My college professor encouraged me to lay my theology on my desk and to read the Bible with as clear of a lens as I could. I was skeptical at first, but as I realized he didn’t have an agenda for me, I went ahead and relaxed and attempted to learn the skills on how to read the Bible and its books in context.

I left most of my theology on that desk. What I left with was much different than what I came with. I will always be grateful for that deconstruction time in my life. I left that classroom a different person, and for the first time I understood grace.

Oh, and I love The Shack.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Ronna Derrick, Those are great books!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I agree, starfielder! :-)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Definitely Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell and the books (especially the first of the three) in “A New Kind of Christian” by Brian McLaren. There have been many more, but those were the ones that first made me slam on the brakes Ian’s reconsider everything I had been taught my whole life.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

i think those books “broke the dam” to initiate the widespread questioning that’s going on now.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I couldn’t agree more – meetvirginia & David: McLaren’s trilogy was epic in opening up a new conversation. LOVE those three!

starfielder
    Participant

McLaren’s books and Rob Bell’s have opened up conversation for me and helped me on my path. So glad these books have been written. I’m waiting for Anne Lamott’s new book, “Help, thanks, Wow:The Three Essential Prayers” to print so I can read it…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you for all these great book suggestions.  I am lining them up to read!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Me too!! I have quite a long list now.

btw – Anybody read any books by David Benner? If so, what did you think – both good or bad? Thanks!

starfielder
    Participant

So, this is not the most influential book in my life but I have just read it. When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God. By TM Luhrman.

Here’s the thing. Luhrman is agnostic. She is an anthropology professor at Stanford. She is thoughtful in her investigation. She uses the Vineyard (um, didn’t know they were the benchmark for American Evangelicals?) as an investigative means for her book which surprised me. Her previous works have had to do with things such as witchcraft and disorders in psychiatry (people who hear and see things)  Fascinating to listen to her on NPR.

Have any of you read this book? Your thoughts?

You can listen to the interview here: http://www.npr.org/search/index.phpsearchinput=fresh+air+tanya+luhrman

Profile photo of Jenn
    Jenn
    Participant

I am forever reading and my list of books that have been influential is nearly impossible to narrow down!  There are three books however that are sitting on my selves in a state of utter tantterness (is that a word?  It should be!) because I reread them often.

1. Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Sprirtuality by J. Philip Newell

2. An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith by Barbara Brown Taylor

and

3. The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers by Frank MacEowen

If ever I found myself on a deserted island…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ah ha! Great question. Judged on the sheer impact it had in my life, “A New Kind of Christian” by Brian McLaren has to one of the most influential.  I also have to give a shout out to Walter Wink “The Powers That Be” also very much a game changer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.