worst case

Blog Forums Deconstruction Spiritual Abuse worst case

This topic contains 117 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • Author

David Hayward
    Keymaster

What is the WORST thing that happened to you in the church, and how have you managed to survive it and move on, if you have?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Surviving being belittled and maligned to a whole community when speaking the truth. And I’m not talking rudeness or subversiveness. I mean asking a question such as, “What’s this mandatory meeting about?” How have I survived? I started running. I lost 25 pounds. I got other hobbies. I started walking a labyrinth. I made friends with people who had nothing to do with church and faith doesn’t even come up. I have cried a lot. I also joined group spiritual direction which changed everything. My faith is my faith. My spirituality is mine. Other folks have different spiritual paths and I’m no longer afraid of our differences. Crappy people won’t shake my faith in the things I believe and the life I want to live. And I’m a better listener now.

Profile photo of Beth
    Beth
    Participant

Having the pastor forget to come to my mothers burial service at the cemetary.  I am not AS angry as I was last year when it happened, but it does still stir me up when I think of it. I never addressed him about his carelessness…some people think I should let him know how much he hurt me and my family that day. What do you all think?

David Hayward
    Keymaster

starfielder: good for you. i run too. since i left the church.

beth: tell him. that’s what i would do. helps clean the slate. yours for sure and maybe his too.

Profile photo of Beth
    Beth
    Participant

Thanks, David. I appreciate hearing the opinion of another Pastor. I think I will let him know.

starfielder
    Participant

Beth, in the name of human decency he should know.

Profile photo of Beth
    Beth
    Participant

Just to be clear he does know that he forgot to show, he doesn’t know how much hurt his carelessness caused.

starfielder
    Participant

Beth, Mmmmm. I’m so sorry he forgot. Wow.

David, how much running do you do?

David Hayward
    Keymaster

i run at least 3 or 4 times a week. maybe more. 5K per run (which is 3 miles). you?

starfielder
    Participant

4 days a week with a long run on Saturdays. I’m running two half marathons in October. So, right now I’m putting in more miles.

Profile photo of Chris M
    Chris M
    Participant

We can only pick one?  I was going to say it was probably when I found out that my pastor (also my mentor and my boss) was having an affair with my best friend’s (and brother in law) girlfriend.  But I think the worst thing was when my wife and I went for spiritual counselling afterwards from other “trusted” pastors and “friends” we were told after literally a couple of meetings that they would no longer help is unless we became members of their church.   More to the story of course but that seemed to be the final breach of trust.

Profile photo of Beth
    Beth
    Participant

Thanks starfielder.

Wow, cmcgill, pretty potent stuff there. Sorry that happened.

starfielder
    Participant

Wow cmcgill, that is a total bummer. :-(

David Hayward
    Keymaster

yep. wow.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

starfielder: yes, i try to take a longer run on weekends. like 8K

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.