Would love to hear comments or insights on this video….

Blog Forums Reconstruction Atheism, Agnosticism & Science Would love to hear comments or insights on this video….

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant
    Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Wow! I found this to be powerful! “The universe is in me!” How completely awesome is that! Makes me full of wonder. I’m glad there are people like him in this world! I first saw him on Jon Stewart. Here’s a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG0odKQaQ1Q

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

@SaraJ …….A beautiful video, amazing thought, spiritual physicality. Thanks for posting.

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

love Love LOVE this video! Neil Degrasse Tyson has inspired me to worry less about what I’m doing here, and just focus on BEING. :) It is getting easier and easier to do so..THANK YOU for posting this. I’d seen it before, but I needed to see it again..<3 <3

Profile photo of Vinny
    Vinny
    Participant

Neil Degrasse Tyson is God.  Wait…

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

Thanks for your comments.  It is breathtaking.  I’m only discovering this kind of stuff :)  Thanks for the link @starfielder , it was fun to watch.

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

I am a big fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson… This video is amazing and powerful! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

Peace

Profile photo of Syl
    Syl
    Participant

Yes, yes, yes.

Carl Sagan’s protege has done well. It was Carl’s “we are all starstuff” that caught my imagination years ago as I was transitioning from a supernatural view of the world and discovering an amazing natural world, filled with no less mystery and wonder than the magical world of religious belief I’d inhabited for so long. This nicely reflects the numinous, the sense of spirituality that I have today. To retain a religious sensibility is well and good if it is meaningful and beneficial to the holder. I, however, find the viewpoint Carl and Neil express so eloquently to be far more meaningful to me today. Love this.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

From looking at what appeared to be a blank portion of the night sky the Hubble telescope through multiple exposures we can now estimate that there are AT LEAST 176 Billion galaxies in the know universe.

You can read the details at this link.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2012/10/10/how-many-galaxies-are-there-in-the-universe-the-redder-we-look-the-more-we-see/#.UWEASL-i1As

A star with its solar system is destroyed every second.  We travel around a relatively small star we call THE Sun.  We are one of 200 to 400 billion stars within our own galaxy.  To think that this universe was created for us seems rather arrogant when I contemplate that we are primates who only very recently (100,000 years) began to think for ourselves and began to make up stories about why we are here.

I find it difficult to imagine that such a primitive work as the Bible should have any knowledge of why we are here considering its absolute ignorance of the vast universe we live in.  Its description of sin and the obsession with purity and how this would matter to any advanced being within a universe present on such a scale seems so self centered.

When I contemplate the opportunity to be alive, even for a brief moment, within the wonder of this reality I feel gratitude.  I don’t want to waste any moment on fear or superstition.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

beautiful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.