So who *isn't* worshiping at church this Easter?

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church So who *isn't* worshiping at church this Easter?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Vinny Vinny 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Wade
    Participant

The Good Friday service was okay in my church, although to be honest I went largely because I was rostered on in the church band. But Easter Sunday I wasn’t looking forward to. This church likes the callback “He is risen”/”He is risen indeed”. I never saw that in any of my previous churches, and for various reasons I’m now finding it more annoying than anything else.

So, I’m sitting in my pyjamas this grey Sunday morn, happily not at church.

Who else might have gone but isn’t?

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I’m debating Staticsan. It’s still Saturday eve here. Might go to our friends early early and start the fire for the lamb roast and call it church…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Not going. :) mainly because I don’t want to encourage the worship of the death of Christ and his escape to heaven… Or be part of it. But that is just me. :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Still Sat. eve here too, but I don’t plan on going to church tomorrow.  Will spend the afternoon and evening with family. All of them will go to church, but hopefully nobody will ask me if I went. If they do, I won’t lie about not going, but hopefully they won’t ask me why I didn’t go. That would require stretching the truth since there’s no point in getting into a big theological argument on Easter. Besides, I don’t know for sure what I believe about Christ’s crucifixion and Resurrection.

Wade
    Participant

I went out with a friend last night. As always, hours of talking about Life, The Universe And Everything. :-) She hasn’t been to church in a while, mostly because she got sick of the insularity and duplicity. But when I mentioned I was undecided about today, she was surprised when I didn’t think there would be many people in my church who would be asking where I was.

Wade.

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

This is my 4th Easter without going to church. I just celebrate springtime, rebirth and new beginnings…I’m gonna play all day with my husband and my girls. :D

Profile photo of Jacquie
    Jacquie
    Participant

I’m not attending church on this bright, spring day either….but since wakening up this morning there is a heaviness that threatens to overwhelm me….is it guilt, faded memories of past Easters (mostly good memories).  I just don’t know if I can relate to the Easter triumphalism now or in the future.  Our son is very active in our local parish church and has faithfully joined in with all the  “special”  Easter services….Maundy Thursday(foot washing/communion), Good Friday vigil and this morning’s Resurrection celebration.  There is lots of symbolism and, dare I say it, “fellowship” over these past few days for our son and the rest of the congregation (the congregation that will include a swelled group of folk/families who will only come to church on these types of special Sundays in the church calendar).  So I have been grateful for the other related Easter posts on TLS that are very helpful on this particular Sunday.

I love that the spring flowers are poking their heads above the earth, that the sun is shining brightly (cheers the soul!) and that I will get through this Sunday just as I have through all the other special Sundays of the church year.  There isn’t an Easter egg in sight in our home….maybe it would be nice to have a chunk of overpriced Easter chocolate to scoff but then again….Easter can be overdone in secular and religious environments….overpriced and “glammed up” all around!

I’m babbling away here and I’m not even sure if my thoughts will sound coherent or sensible.  I get the bursting forth of new life that celebrates spring’s arrival and for now that will suffice (and I’ll read up on the recent forum posts here….happy easter all).

R2
    Participant

Nope. Reading a bit this morning, spending the day hanging out with @AlaskaDi. Our weekends have been much happier and peaceful the past year. No more stressing Saturdays cramming to learn new music for Sunday, or dragging gear out and setting up early Sunday AM and being the last to leave after teardown Sunday afternoon (I just realized in 10 years of playing in the band, none of the hundreds of members or staff of pastors ever offered to stay and help the 2-3 of us tear down and put away everything). Can’t wait for the temp get a little warmer so we can resume our weekend kayaking outings.

Profile photo of pamwerner
    pamwerner
    Participant

I am not going at all.  So far today, we have had cinnamon rolls, baskets and an egg hunt, and now are having a Wii tournament with our kids.  We will BBQ kebabs later and pretty much just relax. We are packing to move too.  I came across this, and while I don’t really read Rachel Held Evans anymore, I read this and really related to it. I plan to post it in a separate thread but thought it fit here.

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/holy-week-for-doubters

Helene
    Participant

Spent all day cleaning a friend’s windows, then my windows (I move out in a week), then washed one of the cars, then waxed it, then it started getting dark and then an older neighbour came down with her dog (I rescued him when he was out once) and we walked around the field with our dogs. She is a Christian I think but has never shared with me which I’m grateful for. Her car has a fish sticker on it, and she has a blessing at the entrance to her door. She had given me my only Easter egg which made it to Saturday. yum yum ! I collapsed into bed in a happy exhausted way. No chocolate was indulged in, yay. I did buy some hot cross buns on Saturday which I love but I promptly gave them away. I do miss my gourmet Melbourne bakery where a dozen hot cross buns sell for nearly $40 (or is that 1/2 dozen? I’ve forgotten now) but they are the real top quality shelf ones. A neighbour did start up a chainsaw, and I was considering the whipper snipper but chose not to be noisy. I did remember during the day a story my mother told me of the late 60’s or early 70’s when she was weeding on a Sunday once, and someone walked past and ‘clucked’ her for working on a Sunday. I feel grateful that I live in a mostly secular society where I can choose to go to church if I wish, or not, and feel comfortable doing either. As I don’t attend church now I feel uncomfortable just going at Easter or Christmas, as I remember growing up and seeing the same phenomenon – the church empty most of the year, but packed at Easter and Christmas. I do miss the sense of community at this time, but I don’t need the condescending head pats if you can understand what I mean.

Interestingly my far away family spend the whole weekend attending the yearly Easter service convention and they are uncontactable being busy and all.

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

Nope.  Dinner with my parents (after their church service),  egg hunt outside with the kids,  and a run in the park to finish off the day.  The sun is shining and its a good day to jot down some new goals for a new beginning. :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Pam – the Rachel Held Evans blog was awesome! Really expresses what I feel. You always have such great resources! Thanks for sharing them!

Gary
    Participant

Nope.  We spent the last 2 days and nights with our 2nd spouses as their son was away on a spring break trip.  We celebrated our love and spent time with family. This was and is a gift from God.  Best Easter we have ever had!!

Profile photo of Sandy G.
    Sandy G.
    Participant

My family had the usual church-in-the-living-room time, which I sat through part of.  But when they were preparing to have “communion” I slipped out the back door and laid in the grass in the back yard.  It was an absolutely beautiful day.  And I was grateful that none of them questioned my disappearance.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

No church for me….  Not yesterday or the week before and not next week…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.